AP Physics C E&M RC circuit FRQ

In summary, after switch S2 is closed, the current through both resistors will be ε/R1+R2. However, the current through the capacitor will be zero. This will happen instantaneously after switch S2 is closed.
erisedk

Homework Statement

http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/repository/_ap06_frq_physicsc_em_51784.pdf

Please please check out Q2 part (d) on this test

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that before S2 is closed, current through the circuit is zero.
As soon as S2 is closed, I don't really understand what happens? I understand that both the currents will be ε/R1+R2 after some time, but I don't get how the capacitor which is completely charged, interacts with the circuit right after S2 is closed.

Additionally, please explain how the graphs will be drawn.

Physics news on Phys.org
erisedk said:
but I don't get how the capacitor which is completely charged, interacts with the circuit right after S2 is closed.
The current doesn't flow through the capacitor, hence take into consideration of only the resistors,

By your argument, the current after S2 is closed should instantaneously become ε/R1+R2, not gradually (which can only happen if the capacitor interacts with the circuit in some way after the switch is closed) as given in the answer.
Check out the scoring guideline and a sample solution here---
http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/members/repository/ap06_physicscem_samples_q2.pdf

erisedk said:
I understand that before S2 is closed, current through the circuit is zero.
As soon as S2 is closed, I don't really understand what happens? I understand that both the currents will be ε/R1+R2 after some time, but I don't get how the capacitor which is completely charged, interacts with the circuit right after S2 is closed.
For purposes of analyzing a circuit for the instant after a switch has changed it, you may replace a capacitor with a voltage source having a voltage equal to that of the capacitor immediately before the switching. Perhaps that will help you to sort out the conditions.
Additionally, please explain how the graphs will be drawn.
Find initial currents at t = 0. Find final currents at t → ∞ (steady state). Connect initial and final states with suitable exponential curves.

Last edited:
Check the following thread. It may help.
Jzhang27143 said:

Homework Statement

The circuit in the link below contains a capacitor of capacitance C, a power supply of emf E, two resistors of resistances R1 and R2, and two switches S1 and S2. After switch S1 has been closed for a long time, switch S2 gets closed at a time t = 0. Sketch graphs of the current I1 in R1 and I2 in R2 versus time.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/rl-parallel-circuit-ap-2006.812704/

Related to AP Physics C E&M RC circuit FRQ

1. What is an RC circuit in AP Physics C E&M?

An RC circuit is a type of circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series. It is used to study the behavior of electrical circuits and how they respond to changes in voltage and current.

2. How do you solve RC circuit problems in AP Physics C E&M?

To solve RC circuit problems, you need to use the principles of Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law. First, analyze the circuit to determine the equivalent resistance (R) and capacitance (C). Then, use the equations for charging and discharging of a capacitor to calculate the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. Finally, apply Kirchhoff's laws to solve for any unknown variables.

3. What is the difference between a series and parallel RC circuit?

In a series RC circuit, the resistor and capacitor are connected one after the other, while in a parallel RC circuit, they are connected side by side. In a series circuit, the same current flows through both components, while in a parallel circuit, the voltage across each component is the same. Additionally, the equivalent resistance in a series circuit is the sum of the individual resistances, while in a parallel circuit, it is less than the smallest individual resistance.

4. How do you determine the time constant in an RC circuit?

The time constant (τ) in an RC circuit is determined by the product of the resistance (R) and capacitance (C). The formula is τ = RC. This value represents the time it takes for the capacitor to charge or discharge to 63.2% of its maximum voltage.

5. What is the purpose of using an RC circuit in AP Physics C E&M?

An RC circuit is used in AP Physics C E&M to study the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit. It also helps to understand the behavior of capacitors and their ability to store and release electrical energy. Additionally, RC circuits are used in many electronic devices such as filters, timer circuits, and oscillators.