AP Physics B help - Electromagnetism

In summary, the question involves two lightbulbs of different wattages and voltages connected in parallel and series circuits. The resistance and current for each bulb in both circuits need to be determined, as well as the brightness order and total power dissipated. The brightness of a bulb is determined by its power, with the higher wattage bulb being brighter.
fuschiso
Hi, I've been working on a review assignment for a while, and I"m very good at electricity, so this question has me stumped.

Specifically, the 2002 AP Physics B, #3.

Two lightbulbs, one rated 30 W at 120 V and another rated 40 W at 120 V, are arranged in two different circuits.
(a) The two bulbs are first connected in parallel to a 120 V source.
i. Determine the resistance of the bulb rated 30 W and the current in it when it is connected to this circuit.
ii. Determine "..." 40 W and "..."
(b) The bulbs are now connected in series with each other and a 120 V source.
i. Determine the resistance of the bulb rated 30 W and the current in it when it is connected to this circuit.
ii. Determine ".." rated 40 W and "..."
(c)In the spaces below, number the bulbs in each situation described, in order of their brightness.
(d) Calculate the total power dissipated by the two bulbs in each of the following cases.
i. Parallel
ii. Series

If anyone could help, I'd really appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you got so far? Any ideas on what relevant equations to use?

"Brightness" is directly related to power

Related to AP Physics B help - Electromagnetism

1. What are the key concepts of electromagnetism in AP Physics B?

The key concepts of electromagnetism in AP Physics B include electric charge, electric fields, electric potential, magnetic fields, and electromagnetic induction. These concepts are essential in understanding the behavior of charged particles and the interaction between electric and magnetic fields.

2. How do I calculate electric and magnetic forces in AP Physics B?

To calculate electric forces, you can use Coulomb's Law, which states that the magnitude of the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. For magnetic forces, you can use the formula F=qvB, which represents the force on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field.

3. What is the difference between electric potential and electric field in AP Physics B?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that represents the amount of work per unit charge required to move a test charge from a reference point to a specific point in an electric field. Electric field, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that represents the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge in an electric field. In simple terms, electric potential measures the potential energy of a charge, while electric field measures the force acting on a charge.

4. How do I apply Faraday's Law in AP Physics B?

Faraday's Law states that the induced electromotive force (EMF) in a closed loop is equal to the negative of the time rate of change of the magnetic flux through the loop. This means that if the magnetic flux through a loop changes, an EMF will be induced in the loop, which can then cause a current to flow. In AP Physics B, you can use this law to understand electromagnetic induction and the production of electric currents.

5. What are some real-life applications of electromagnetism studied in AP Physics B?

Electromagnetism has numerous real-life applications, including electric motors, generators, transformers, and electromagnets. Electric motors use the interaction between electric and magnetic fields to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy, while generators use the opposite process to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. Transformers use electromagnetic induction to change the voltage of an alternating current, and electromagnets are used in various devices such as speakers, MRI machines, and particle accelerators.