Ap physics at my highschool gave me a hard question

In summary, a baseball with a mass of 0.14 kg is pitched at 46 m/s towards home plate. If the bat exerts a force of 8900 N for 2.1 ms, the final speed of the ball can be calculated using the equation for impulse, which is equal to the change in momentum. Assuming the ball traveled back in the opposite direction, the change in velocity can be determined using this equation.
chyle
A baseball has a mass of about 0.14 kg, and it is pitched towards home plate at a speed of about 46 m/s. If the bat exerts an average force of 8900 N for 2.1 ms, what is the final speed of the ball in m/s?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what is the impulse of a force? Impulse = change in momentum. Using that, this is definitely a very easy problem. Of course, we have to assume that the ball went back right the way it came.

Impuls and change of momentum

F *[tex]\Delta[/tex]t = m * [tex]\Delta[/tex]v

[tex]\Delta[/tex]v is the change in velocity that you have, not the velocity by itself, but you probably know that :)

Related to Ap physics at my highschool gave me a hard question

What is AP Physics and why is it considered difficult?

AP Physics is an advanced placement course that covers the fundamentals of physics at a college level. It is considered difficult because it requires a strong understanding of mathematics and critical thinking skills.

What kind of topics are covered in AP Physics at my high school?

AP Physics covers a wide range of topics including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, waves, and thermodynamics. It also includes laboratory work and problem-solving exercises.

Why is it important to take AP Physics in high school?

Taking AP Physics in high school can provide a strong foundation for future studies in science, engineering, and other related fields. It can also help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are valuable in any career.

What resources are available to help me with difficult questions in AP Physics?

There are many resources available to help with difficult questions in AP Physics, including textbooks, online resources, and study groups. Your teacher is also a valuable resource and can provide guidance and support.

How can I prepare for the challenging questions in AP Physics at my high school?

To prepare for challenging questions in AP Physics, it is important to have a strong understanding of the concepts and to practice problem-solving regularly. It can also be helpful to review previous material and seek help from teachers or classmates when needed.