AP Chem; Calculating energy released

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's experience with AP Chemistry and their search for help. The homework question involves calculating the energy released per (4 mass #, 2 Protons)He nucleus produced and per mole of (4 mass #, 2 Protons)He produced and the equations and attempts at solving it are also provided. The conversation also includes a conversion factor for expressing the energy in terms of MeV and a reminder to provide the energy per He nucleus and per mole of He nucleus.
Misteh
I have just started AP Chemistry this year as a junior at my high school despite all peer protests against it. And I admit so far the course has lived up to it's reputation of being very difficult. I was rather ecstatic to come across this site where I may obtain the help I /know/ I will need all year. So expect to see me often. ^_^
We use the 7th edition Chemistry textbook by Zumdahl, so I believe my source is familiar to at least some.

Homework Statement

Calculate the energy released per (4 mass #, 2 Protons)He nucleus produced and per moles of (4 mass #, 2 Protons)He produced. The atomic masses are (2,1)H, 2.01410; (3,1)H, 3.01605; and (4,2)He, 4.00260. The masses of the electron and neutron are 5.4858 x 10 raised to the -4 and 1.00866 amu, respectively.

Homework Equations

The easiest fusion reaction to initiate is

(2,1) H + (3,1) H ---> (4,2) He + (0,1) n

The Attempt at a Solution

∆m = (4.00260 + 1.00866) - (2.01410 + 3.01605) = -1.02755 amu
(Originally I had the two enclosed equations swapped which would give a positive result instead. Would this matter? If so, why?)

For Mole;
-1.02755 amu = 1.6005 x 10 to the -27 Kg / 1 amu
= -1.6446 Kg

E= mc squared, so: -1.6446 Kg x (2.997 x 10 to the 8) Squared
= 49289 J

For Nucleus;
I was unsure how to find this, but I found that
1 mol = 6.0221 x 10 to the 23 nuclei
So do I need to convert Kg into mol and then into nuclei?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can express the energy in terms of MeV. 931.5 MeV/amu is the conversion factor I believe. To convert that to joules, use the equality 1 electron volt = 1.602 X 10^-19 Joule and MeV is million electron volts. The question asks you to give the energy in terms of 'per He nucleus' and in terms of 'per mole of He nucleus'. Find the energy per nucleus of He and then multiply that by Avogadro's number to get it in terms of energy per mole.

Hello! It's great to hear that you have started AP Chemistry and are already seeking help and resources. It shows dedication and determination, which are important qualities for success in this course.

Now, let's talk about the problem at hand. The first thing to note is that the equation you have written is not a fusion reaction, it is a neutron capture reaction. In a fusion reaction, two smaller nuclei combine to form a larger one, releasing energy in the process. In a neutron capture reaction, a nucleus absorbs a neutron, producing a larger nucleus and possibly releasing energy.

Assuming that the question is asking for the energy released in a fusion reaction, we can use the equation provided to calculate the energy released per mole of (4,2)He produced. The key here is to use the correct mass values for the reactants and products. The correct equation for a fusion reaction between (2,1)H and (3,1)H is:

(2,1)H + (3,1)H ---> (4,2)He + (1,0)n

Using the atomic masses given, we can calculate the change in mass (∆m) as:

∆m = (4.00260 + 1.00866) - (2.01410 + 3.01605) = 0.98111 amu

Now, to convert this to kilograms, we can use the conversion factor 1 amu = 1.66054 x 10^-27 kg. This gives us a mass change of:

0.98111 amu x (1.66054 x 10^-27 kg/amu) = 1.628 x 10^-27 kg

Using the equation E = mc^2, we can calculate the energy released:

E = (1.628 x 10^-27 kg) x (2.997 x 10^8 m/s)^2 = 4.62 x 10^-12 J

To calculate the energy released per mole of (4,2)He produced, we need to know the number of (4,2)He nuclei produced per mole. This is given by the coefficients in the balanced equation, which in this case is 1. So, the energy released per mole of (4,2)He produced is:

4.62 x 10^-12 J/1 mole = 4.62 x 10^-12 J/mol

Related to AP Chem; Calculating energy released

What is the purpose of calculating energy released in AP Chemistry?

The purpose of calculating energy released in AP Chemistry is to determine the amount of energy that is released or absorbed during a chemical reaction. This information is important for understanding the thermodynamics of a reaction and how it will affect the overall system.

How is energy released calculated in AP Chemistry?

To calculate the energy released in AP Chemistry, the enthalpy change (ΔH) is used. This is the difference between the energy of the products and the energy of the reactants. It can be calculated using the formula ΔH = ΣH(products) - ΣH(reactants).

What units are used for energy released in AP Chemistry?

The units for energy released in AP Chemistry are usually kilojoules (kJ) or joules (J). This is because the amount of energy involved in chemical reactions is typically very large, so using smaller units like calories would result in very large numbers.

Why is it important to consider the sign of energy released in AP Chemistry?

In AP Chemistry, the sign of the energy released or absorbed is important because it indicates the direction of the reaction. A negative value for energy released indicates an exothermic reaction, where energy is released from the system. A positive value indicates an endothermic reaction, where energy is absorbed by the system.

What are some factors that can affect the calculation of energy released in AP Chemistry?

The calculation of energy released in AP Chemistry can be affected by several factors, such as the accuracy of the measurements, the pressure and temperature of the system, and any energy losses due to the surroundings. It is important to take these factors into account to ensure accurate results.