Ap answer? for gravity question

• Thread starter vectordog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ap Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses a question from an old AP multiple choice test that asks about a satellite's motion in a circular orbit. One of the options states that the net force on the satellite is equal to MR and directed towards the center of the orbit. However, a group member points out that "MR" is not a unit of force and suggests that it may be a typo. Another member agrees and suggests that "M*v^2/R" is the correct expression for force in this scenario.
vectordog
Looking at an old AP multiple choice test, I found this question and answer:
A satellite of mass M moves in a circular orbit of radius R at a constant speed v. Which of the following must be true?

One of their "true" answers states: The net force on the satellite is equal to MR and is directed toward the center of the orbit.

Can anyone show me the math to show this. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
"MR" is not a force, as the units don't match. The quantity "M*v^2/R-" is force (centripetal).

Claude

That's what I thought, too. AP is famous for their typos on the Physics test. I'm guessing this is one of them.

Related to Ap answer? for gravity question

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a force that exists between two objects with mass. It is responsible for the attraction between objects and the reason why objects fall towards the Earth.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by the principle of mass attracting mass. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational force. This force decreases with distance, so the closer two objects are, the stronger their gravitational pull towards each other.

3. Who discovered gravity?

Sir Isaac Newton is credited with discovering the concept of gravity in the late 17th century. He observed that objects fall towards the ground at a constant rate and formulated the laws of motion and universal gravitation to explain this phenomenon.

4. How does gravity affect the motion of objects?

Gravity affects the motion of objects by pulling them towards the center of the Earth. This causes objects to fall towards the ground and also influences the movement of planets and other celestial bodies in our solar system.

5. Can gravity be manipulated or controlled?

No, gravity cannot be manipulated or controlled. It is a fundamental force of nature that exists everywhere and affects all objects with mass. However, the effects of gravity can be counteracted through the use of technology, such as rockets and airplanes.