Anyway to do infnite series with a TI-89?

• Calculators
  • Thread starter FancyNut
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series Ti-89
In summary, the person has a lot of problems to do before their calculus midterm and is looking for help with using their TI-89 calculator. They have found a sum function and an infinity button on the calculator and have successfully tested it with geometric series. They are now seeking help with power series and taylor polynomials.
FancyNut
I have A LOT of problems in work sheets to do before my midterm on friday for calculus. The thing is, I don't have the solutions but I do have a TI-89 and it helped with checking my answers for integrals.

My question is, how do I (or even can I?) work with infinite/power (see if they converge, diverge, etc..) series with a TI-89? I only have the manual as a .pdf file and I can't find anything in it but I just want to make sure that I'm not missing something...

Thanks for any help.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Your 89 has a sum function in f3: Calc / 4: Sum and an infinity button at Diamond / infinity (the catalog button). Why don't you take them out for a test drive?

The sum function takes arguments function, variable, lower limit, upper limit. For instance, [itex] \Sigma(1/x^2,x,1,\infty)[/itex] returns [itex] \frac{\pi^2}{6}[/itex].

--J

heh I just tried some geometric series and it works. Sweet. :biggrin:

Thanks man!

hmm ok how about a power series (conv. interval..)? When I try it it just returns what I entered... :confused:

Last edited:
so... anybody wants to help?

I really need this. :cry:

Can the TI-89 even do power series and taylor polynomials?

1. How do I input an infinite series into my TI-89 calculator?

To input an infinite series into your TI-89 calculator, you can use the "sigma" symbol (Σ) located in the "Catalog" menu. Press "2ND" and then "CATALOG" to access the "Catalog" menu. Scroll down to find the "sigma" symbol and press "ENTER" to insert it into your expression. You can then enter the terms of your infinite series inside the parentheses of the "sigma" symbol.

2. Can I use my TI-89 calculator to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series?

Yes, the TI-89 calculator has a built-in function called "seq" which can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. After inputting your series using the "sigma" symbol, press "2ND" and then "MATH" to access the "Math" menu. Scroll down to find the "seq" function and press "ENTER". You can then enter the terms of your series and specify the variable and the number of terms you want to evaluate. The calculator will then determine if the series is convergent or divergent.

3. How do I find the sum of an infinite series using my TI-89 calculator?

To find the sum of an infinite series using your TI-89 calculator, you can use the "Sum" function. After inputting your series using the "sigma" symbol, press "2ND" and then "MATH" to access the "Math" menu. Scroll down to find the "Sum" function and press "ENTER". You can then enter the terms of your series and specify the variable and the number of terms you want to evaluate. The calculator will then calculate the sum of the series.

4. Can my TI-89 calculator handle complex infinite series?

Yes, the TI-89 calculator can handle complex infinite series. You can input complex numbers using the "i" symbol and use the "Re" and "Im" functions to evaluate the real and imaginary parts of the series. The "Sum" function can also be used to calculate the sum of complex infinite series.

5. Is there a way to graph an infinite series on my TI-89 calculator?

Yes, you can graph an infinite series on your TI-89 calculator using the "SeqGraph" function. After inputting your series using the "sigma" symbol, press "2ND" and then "MATH" to access the "Math" menu. Scroll down to find the "SeqGraph" function and press "ENTER". You can then enter the terms of your series and specify the variable and the number of terms you want to graph. The calculator will then plot the graph of the series.