Anyone use a Mac and Lightroom or Aperture or PS?

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mac
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of iPhoto and Adobe Lightroom for managing photos on a Mac computer. It is suggested that iPhoto can be deleted, as its library takes up a lot of space, and it is not necessary to keep it even if using Lightroom. The use of Finder and Photoshop is also mentioned as an alternative. There is a brief mention of Aperture, which is similar to iPhoto in terms of organizing photos, but it is considered a good decision to go with Lightroom instead.
Saladsamurai
I am just wondering: I have all of my photos in the iPhoto library, but I just (finally) installed my copy of Adobe Lightroom. I am going to import all of my photos to Lightroom and I am wondering if there is any need to keep iPhoto on my computer.

Any Mac users out there who can offer any advice on how you manage your photos?

Computer science news on Phys.org
You don't need to keep iPhoto (or its library, which will take up much more space than just the application itself) regardless of whether or not you have Lightroom.

I just use Finder. iPhoto mucks things up too much in its "database" and I don't approve of how Aperture does basically the same thing. Finder and Photoshop work well for me.

fss said:
You don't need to keep iPhoto (or its library, which will take up much more space than just the application itself) regardless of whether or not you have Lightroom.

I just use Finder. iPhoto mucks things up too much in its "database" and I don't approve of how Aperture does basically the same thing. Finder and Photoshop work well for me.

Sounds good then! So Aperture attempts to "organize" things like iPhoto does? So it's maybe a good thing that I went with Lightroom then. I am not sure what it attempts to do with the photos as far as organization is concerned.

Thanks!

Related to Anyone use a Mac and Lightroom or Aperture or PS?

1. How does using a Mac affect the performance of Lightroom, Aperture, or Photoshop?

Using a Mac for these programs can greatly enhance their performance due to the Mac's advanced hardware and optimized operating system. This can result in faster processing speeds and smoother editing experience.

2. Are there any compatibility issues between Mac and these programs?

No, these programs are designed to work seamlessly on Mac computers and have no known compatibility issues.

3. Which of these programs is the best for photo editing on a Mac?

This can vary depending on personal preference and the specific needs of the user. Lightroom and Aperture are both popular choices among Mac users for their user-friendly interfaces and efficient editing tools, while Photoshop is favored for its advanced features and versatility.

4. Can I use these programs on an older Mac model?

It is possible to use Lightroom, Aperture, or Photoshop on older Mac models, however, the performance may not be as optimal compared to using them on newer models. It is recommended to have a Mac with at least 8GB of RAM for optimal performance.

5. Are there any alternatives to using a Mac for these programs?

Yes, there are alternative software options for photo editing on non-Mac computers, such as Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop for Windows or Linux, or other third-party editing software. However, using these programs on a Mac is generally considered the most efficient and reliable option.