Anyone know of good Mathematical Modeling classes/books?

In summary, the individual is looking for resources to improve their skills in mathematical modeling, particularly in the field of business scenarios. They are open to suggestions for courses, books, or software, and have no preference for programming languages. They also note the importance of being specific in the type of phenomena they wish to model in order to receive better advice.
Elysian
I've recently gotten into Mathematics more and more, and I wanted to do some mathematical modeling just to see where I stand on it and maybe try to get better at it.

I've looked around as well as I could, and I didn't really find much, so I was wondering if anyone here knew of any good courses (videos or whatever) or books that would help with mathematical modeling.

I understand modeling is different for every scenario but an overview of what it entails, and the methods involved would be nice, if that doesn't exist, if anyone could recommend the next best thing, that'd be great.

In terms of software and such, what might I need for it as well?

Thanks in advance

Elysian

Physics news on Phys.org
The field of mathematical modeling is so general that I think you'll get better advice if you explain what type of phenomena you want to model. The stock market? World War II? Combustion inside the cylinder of an automobile engine?

I assume you intend to incorporate computers somewhere in this effort. Do yo favor a particular programming language?

Stephen Tashi said:
The field of mathematical modeling is so general that I think you'll get better advice if you explain what type of phenomena you want to model. The stock market? World War II? Combustion inside the cylinder of an automobile engine?

I assume you intend to incorporate computers somewhere in this effort. Do yo favor a particular programming language?

You're correct that I will incorporate computers into this. I'm mainly looking to model business scenarios, anything basic related to that. I have no preference for programming languages, if needed I can try and learn any ones that'd be required.

Elysian said:
I'm mainly looking to model business scenarios

I'm not informed about modeling business scenarios. I suggest that you be even more specific. For example, the use of "stochastic calculus" to model trading in securities could be interpreted as a business scenaro. But this is very different that trying to model the effects of advertising campaigns or deciding how many widgets of type A and type B to manufacture.

I would recommend starting with a basic understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques, such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. These are the foundation for mathematical modeling and will help you understand and apply the methods involved in the process.

Once you have a solid understanding of these concepts, I would recommend looking for courses or books specifically focused on mathematical modeling. Some universities offer courses in mathematical modeling, and there are also online resources and textbooks available.

In terms of software, there are many options available depending on the type of modeling you are interested in. Some popular software for mathematical modeling includes MATLAB, R, and Python. It would be beneficial to familiarize yourself with at least one of these programs to aid in your modeling process.

Overall, the best way to improve at mathematical modeling is through practice and experimentation. Find problems or scenarios that interest you and try to model them using the techniques and software you have learned. Don't be afraid to seek out additional resources or ask for help from experts in the field. With dedication and practice, you can become proficient in mathematical modeling.

Related to Anyone know of good Mathematical Modeling classes/books?

1. What is Mathematical Modeling and why is it important?

Mathematical Modeling is the process of using mathematical concepts and techniques to analyze and understand real-world problems. It is important because it allows scientists to make predictions and decisions based on data and mathematical models, which can help solve complex problems and improve processes.

2. What are some common applications of Mathematical Modeling?

Mathematical Modeling is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, biology, and environmental science. Some common applications include predicting weather patterns, understanding population dynamics, modeling economic trends, and optimizing manufacturing processes.

3. What skills are required to excel in Mathematical Modeling?

To excel in Mathematical Modeling, one should have a strong foundation in mathematics, such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and computer programming skills are essential for developing and analyzing mathematical models.

4. Can you recommend any good Mathematical Modeling classes or books?

There are many great resources for learning Mathematical Modeling, and the best one for you will depend on your level of expertise and specific interests. Some popular books include "A First Course in Mathematical Modeling" by Frank R. Giordano, "Mathematical Modeling: Models, Analysis and Applications" by Sandip Banerjee, and "Introduction to Mathematical Modeling" by Edward A. Bender. Online courses from platforms like Coursera and edX also offer excellent options for learning Mathematical Modeling.

5. How can Mathematical Modeling be applied in everyday life?

Mathematical Modeling can be applied in everyday life in various ways, such as predicting traffic patterns, optimizing travel routes, analyzing social media trends, and understanding the spread of diseases. It can also help in making informed decisions related to personal finance, such as budgeting and investing.