Anyone know of a place that sells 10 farad capacitors rated at 20k volts

In summary, the conversation revolved around the search for a place that sells 10 farad capacitors rated at 20k volts. While some suggested checking out research facilities or companies like ABB and Siemens, others cautioned about the potential dangers of such a large capacitor and its possible use in an EMP device. The conversation also included calculations and discussions about the amount of energy and power involved in using such a capacitor.
Agnostic

Engineering news on Phys.org
Agnostic said:

No, that's on the scale of large reserach facility capacitor banks.

Agnostic said:
What'cha makin'? :cool:

Maybe an inter-galactic bug zapper?

:biggrin:

I think I found one for you, kind of. It is just a tad small though.

http://www.rheinmetall.de/index.php?fid=1805&lang=3

Using J = 1/2 C E^2, you are asking for a 2 x 10^9 Joule capacitor. This one is only 5 x 10^7,

About forty of these should make it about right..

:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like an interesting place considering the bombing of Dresden :)...So it goes

I am doing some undergraduate research...

I guess the capacitance isn't difficult, but the voltage is...

Maybe I am being a little overzealous...

There are plenty of 10+ microF capacitors around for voltages of 20 kV, however, a 10 F capacitor at 20 kV would be for a power transmission system.

ABB or a power electronics company would probably have those.

20 kV is considered medium voltage which would be used in local distribution systems.

ABB HiQ - Capacitor Units (Power Capacitors)

The first application for DryQ capacitors is shunt banks rated for 40–170 kV and 10-100 MVAr.

DryQ AC
http://www.abb.com/global/gad/gad02077.nsf/lupLongContent/DD6C0BD19EACD8FCC1256FA30054CAC2

DryQ DC
http://www.abb.com/global/seitp/seitp332.nsf/0/7fce68898da2ef14c1256f64005041b0?OpenDocument

Siemens
http://www.epcos.de/web/generator/Web/Sections/ProductCatalog/Capacitors/PowerCapacitors/CapacitorsForPowerElectronics/Page,templateId=render,locale=en.html

Siemens largest capacitor is 16 milli-F.

10 F seems a bit large.

I know one place that used huge inductors for energy storage and they had to use explosive switching. They were doing 10+ kA.

I had the same thought as berkeman - that's a mighty big charge one is contemplating. :rolleyes:

And as Hammie pointed out, 2 GJ is a rather large energy storage. That's the output of typical 1000 MWe in 2 seconds. I can't imagine an undergrad doing research with such an amount of stored energy. One can explode wires with that energy/power.

Another thought, or two.. :biggrin:

How do you plan on charging this little bugger?

I figured that, using the 20KV anode supply for a 13 inch television, you'd be safe limiting the current such that the source is supplying about a maximum of 10 watts or so.

The series resistor would have to be about forty megohms give or take.

It takes about five time constants to charge it to 99 % of the source voltage.

One time constant is 4 x 10^8 seconds. That is rougly thirteen years, to charge it to only 63 percent of 20KV.

As funny as all this may sound, it does give me an appreciation for what they are doing with those huge capacitor banks..

I don't think I could afford the electric bill for even one charge cycle.

1/2 amp to the TV, the bill would be about a million and a half, at today's rate of about five cents per kilowatt hour.

I'm only forty nine now. I think I'll pay at the end of the charge period..:biggrin:

edit:
I redid the figures.. only $333.33 dollars to do one fifth the job.. I never was good with finances..:blushing:

Last edited:
I just realized a typo...I meant 10 microfarad...

Be careful with the surplus stuff. Some of the really old oil filled units contain PCB's.

Agnostic said:

Makes a big difference.

There are plenty of suppliers for 20 kV, 10 [itex]\mu[/itex]F capacitors.

Just use Google, "Capacitor","20 kV"

For example - http://www.hivoltcapacitors.com/page1.html

http://www.morganelectroceramics.com/capacitors/index.html

ABB, Siemens woud also supply such capacitors.

See http://www.lambda-emi.com/product_html/203power.htm for charging systems.

Agnostic said:
Now you know why people were curious about the application. I figured you were going to build an EMP device big enough to knock out the northeast. :smile:

Now you know why people were curious about the application. I figured you were going to build an EMP device big enough to knock out the northeast.

Aye. I saw 10F before I read down further and all I saw was the robot from the Space Family Robinson:

DANGER DANGER

I get REALLY nervous around the 500mF caps we have in the lab because there are some people there who don't realize how dangerous they can be.

Putting this in perspective -

2 GJ is the kinetic energy of 1 kg traveling at a speed of 63.245 km/s or 10 kg traveling at 20 km/sec.

A 100 kg man would have that amount of kinetic energy at 6.325 km/s and that is pretty darn fast!

turbo-1 said:
Now you know why people were curious about the application. I figured you were going to build an EMP device big enough to knock out the northeast. :smile:
lol that would totaly own

Related to Anyone know of a place that sells 10 farad capacitors rated at 20k volts

1. Can I use a 10 farad capacitor rated at 20k volts for my project?

It depends on the specific requirements of your project. A 10 farad capacitor with a rating of 20k volts is a very specific type of capacitor and may not be suitable for all projects. It is important to consult the specifications and requirements of your project before purchasing a capacitor.

2. Where can I find a place that sells 10 farad capacitors rated at 20k volts?

There are several electronic stores and online retailers that offer 10 farad capacitors with a rating of 20k volts. It is recommended to do some research and compare prices and reviews before making a purchase.

3. How do I know if a 10 farad capacitor rated at 20k volts is high quality?

One way to determine the quality of a capacitor is to look for certifications such as UL or CSA. These certifications ensure that the capacitor has been tested and meets safety and quality standards. It is also important to read reviews and compare specifications before purchasing.

4. What are the benefits of using a 10 farad capacitor rated at 20k volts?

This type of capacitor has a high capacitance and voltage rating, which makes it suitable for applications that require a lot of energy storage and high voltage levels. It can also provide stable and reliable power supply for electronic devices.

5. Is it safe to use a 10 farad capacitor rated at 20k volts?

As with any electronic component, it is important to handle and use the capacitor properly according to the manufacturer's instructions. It is also recommended to use safety precautions such as wearing protective gear and working with a qualified professional when dealing with high voltage components.