Anyone know a logical expression of Copenhagen Interpretation

In summary, the conversation discussed the Copenhagen Interpretation and its various interpretations. The main focus was on the von Neuman interpretation, which explains the concept of "two physics" - system evolution and observation. This interpretation is widely used by experimentalists in the field.
danitaber
hiya! Does anyone know of any logical expressions of the Copenhagen Interpretation. I've read about it, I can summarize it, but I've never really seen anything other than discussions of it in pop-science books.

I'd really like to break it down if I could.

Physics news on Phys.org
danitaber said:
hiya! Does anyone know of any logical expressions of the Copenhagen Interpretation. .

The Copenhagen Interpretation itself is very vague, based upon "complementarity" and "duality" of things and so on. I think it is more a process of understanding than a clear position. I don't know myself exactly what's meant with it.
However, what most people call the "Copenhagen interpretation" is in fact the von Neuman interpretation. That, he made extremely clear in his classic book "mathematical foundations of quantum theory" (or something like it).
Most of the book is an attempt to put the Dirac delta function on firm mathematical basis, but in the last part he explains what is meant with his interpretation.
It simply comes down to "two physics": one is "system evolution" and the other is "observation". System evolution is what is done with Schroedinger's equation and so on, and observation is a random process: the projection of the state onto one of the eigenstates of the measurement operator, with the probability given by the norm squared.
It is the rule EVERY EXPERIMENTALIST IN THE WORLD uses.

cheers,
Patrick.

Related to Anyone know a logical expression of Copenhagen Interpretation

1. What is the Copenhagen Interpretation?

The Copenhagen Interpretation is a framework for understanding quantum mechanics, proposed by physicists Niels Bohr and Werner Heisenberg in the 1920s. It states that particles do not have definite properties until they are observed, and that the act of measurement affects the behavior of particles.

2. How does the Copenhagen Interpretation differ from other interpretations of quantum mechanics?

The Copenhagen Interpretation is one of several interpretations of quantum mechanics, and it differs from others in that it focuses on the role of the observer in determining the behavior of particles. Other interpretations, such as the Many-Worlds Interpretation, propose different explanations for the behavior of particles.

3. Is the Copenhagen Interpretation widely accepted by scientists?

The Copenhagen Interpretation is widely accepted by scientists as a useful framework for understanding quantum mechanics. However, it has also been the subject of much debate and criticism, and there are other interpretations that are also widely accepted by scientists.

4. Can you provide a logical expression of the Copenhagen Interpretation?

The Copenhagen Interpretation does not have a single, definitive logical expression. It is a conceptual framework rather than a mathematical formula. However, some key principles of the interpretation include the idea that particles do not have definite properties until they are observed, and that the act of measurement affects the behavior of particles.

5. How does the Copenhagen Interpretation impact our understanding of reality?

The Copenhagen Interpretation challenges our traditional understanding of reality, as it suggests that the behavior of particles is fundamentally unpredictable and that the observer plays a crucial role in determining reality through the act of measurement. It also raises philosophical questions about the nature of existence and the relationship between the observer and the observed.