Anyone Ever Get Slimy Substance on Sink Drain Filter that Keeps Coming

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
kyphysics
Back? (completion of thread title, due to hitting space/character limit)?

By sink drain filter, I mean something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C9YDY9WS/?tag=pfamazon01-20

By "slimy substance," I mean like a thick throat mucous-like substance when you're sick. It is clear, fluid that is thick and stringy (very sticky and hard to wash entirely off the filter). It coats the filter and keeps coming back and back. Bleach or white vinegar poured over it can temporarily get rid of it, but then that slime will come back within a week or two.

Anyone experience this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe fat in the water trap is reacting with NaOH drain or oven cleaner, to form that slime.
Next, measure the pH of the slime.
Make a list of all chemicals being used or disposed of in that sink.

Prior to that slimy substance, I did dump orange juice soda occasionally into that bathroom sink. I was too lazy to pour it down the kitchen sink. But I figured it wouldn't matter as it's still a sink. Over time, the drain has gotten a weird filth in it and now a white substance the coats it.

Really, it's only been tooth paste, Listerine, bar soap, my saliva, and cleaning agents (rubbing alcohol, bleach, and/or white vinegar) that have gone down. . . .the normal stuff.

1. What causes the slimy substance on my sink drain filter?

The slimy substance often found on sink drain filters is typically a combination of bacteria, mold, and biofilm. These elements thrive in moist environments and can accumulate when food particles, soap residue, and other organic materials are present in the sink and not thoroughly cleaned.

2. Is the slimy substance harmful to my health?

While the slimy substance itself might not be directly harmful, it can harbor bacteria and mold that could potentially lead to health issues, especially if it comes into contact with any cuts on your skin or if it contaminates utensils and food. Regular cleaning and maintenance are recommended to prevent any health risks.

3. How can I effectively clean the slimy substance from my sink drain filter?

To clean the slimy substance from your sink drain filter, remove the filter and soak it in a mixture of hot water and vinegar or bleach for about 30 minutes. After soaking, use a brush to scrub off any remaining residue. Rinse thoroughly with hot water before placing the filter back in the sink. Regular cleaning can prevent buildup.

4. Can I prevent the slimy substance from forming on my sink drain filter?

Preventing the slimy substance involves regular cleaning and maintenance of your sink and drain filter. Avoid letting food particles and other organic materials go down the drain. Use a mixture of baking soda and vinegar weekly to clean your sink and help dissolve any potential clogs or residues. Additionally, ensure your sink area is dry when not in use to discourage bacterial and mold growth.

5. What should I do if the slimy substance keeps coming back even after cleaning?

If the slimy substance reappears frequently even after regular cleaning, it might be time to look deeper into your plumbing system. Persistent buildup could indicate an underlying issue such as a partial clog deeper in your plumbing that is trapping organic materials. In such cases, it might be beneficial to consult a professional plumber to thoroughly inspect and clean your pipes.