Anyone else thinks that History channel's name should be changed?

• History
  • Thread starter Julio R
  • Start date
  • Tags
    History
In summary, the History Channel is a US-based international satellite and cable TV channel that mainly broadcasts scripted "reality" television series and other nonhistory-related content.
encorp said:
I can't stand it, it used to be on of my favourite channels when it first came out.

Now I watch Military channel a lot, since it's basically the history channel.

Me too! In fact, I'm so educated on world war 2 now, that the veterans visit me to hear MY war stories...

Please press red button:

http://instantrimshot.com/

Science news on Phys.org
The History channel use to broadcast a lot of World War 2 documentary, but now they have a sister channel called Military History.

lisab said:
25103267.jpg

I hate that guy.

...Typical history channel show:

--Are there evil, nazi lizard-men dwelling in the mantle of the Earth?
--Cue everal minutes of questions and suggestions, each more speculative than the previous.
--Interview "Mantle-dwelling Lizard-person expert" number 1
--Interview geologist and take his reluctance to absolutely rule out the possibility of something living kilometers below the surface of the Earth as an admission that it is almost certainly lizard-people.
--Keep going on like this, asking ever-increasingly speculative questions for about 20 minutes until:
--"So do these Lizard-people actually exist? We'll let you decide [after having listened to our overly-speculative nonsense for 25 minutes]
-- Cue credits just as the one level-headed geologist comes back on and the History chanel tries to inject a little credibility by letting him say, "No, I'm pretty darn sure that this is nonsense" before cutting him off and swooping the screen into the corner to make room for the advertisement for "Angry moon monkeys!"

I don't know what you people expect from these television channels. Everyone knows that these are businesses trying to get your attention, and if that means selling entertaining nonsense then that is what they'll do. People really need to roll with disillusionment better instead of getting irate.

The problem is that they don't sell what they offer and it only contributes to the large number of misconceptions people have about history. This kind of programming is really harmful to the general public.

You guys might get a kick out of this one with the Ancient Aliens guy:

The evolution of ridiculousness:
http://imgace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/what-if-the-alien-guy-isnt-crazy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Julio R said:
The problem is that they don't sell what they offer and it only contributes to the large number of misconceptions people have about history. This kind of programming is really harmful to the general public.

Actually they do sell what they offer...remember the programs are not the products, we, as viewers, are the products they are selling to other companies with ads. I doubt that this kind of programming is harmful. It definitely isn't helping get rid of misconceptions but I don't think it is making things any worse than they already are. If you are going to change the name of the History channel because it sells nonsense then you should change the name of Forever 21 because it is not in fact the fountain of youth. I am not defending the History channel I just don't think that this is that big of an issue.

Jow said:
Actually they do sell what they offer...remember the programs are not the products, we, as viewers, are the products they are selling to other companies with ads. I doubt that this kind of programming is harmful. It definitely isn't helping get rid of misconceptions but I don't think it is making things any worse than they already are. If you are going to change the name of the History channel because it sells nonsense then you should change the name of Forever 21 because it is not in fact the fountain of youth. I am not defending the History channel I just don't think that this is that big of an issue.

This type of thinking is, I think, grossly academic. I understand the idea of taking an objective view of things, and certainly your points are valid, but I think they miss the point.

Most of us aren't upset that channels can and do put up this drivel. I personally understand that they air this stuff because people watch it and that's how they stay on the air, but I also don't have a problem with that. What I do have an issue with is, as others have said, the fact that they call themselves the "History" channel, or "The Learning Channel". The other poster was obviously saying that the History channel (and the ilk) are not giving viewers that which it's name totes, history.

Whether or not that sells ads is irrelevant to the viewer.

Obviously the Science Channel couldn't survive airing live biopsies and titration experiments, but if it's calling itself the Science Channel, it should deliver some actual science content or else change it's name. I bet a big part of the reason why many people are so distrustful (and ignorant) of the scientific method is that channels like the ones we are discussing depict scientific inquiry as mere speculation.

On top of that that they use pop scientist and historians to make themselves seem more credible when actually what these guys are saying is not accurate.

Travis_King said:
You guys might get a kick out of this one with the Ancient Aliens guy:

The evolution of ridiculousness:
http://imgace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/what-if-the-alien-guy-isnt-crazy.jpg

Why did they let him get on the air like that in that last frame? LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
DiracPool said:
Why did they let him get on the air like that in that last frame? LOL.

Correction:

Why did they let him get on the air ever?

"The History Channel" is an anagram for "Nice, then holy trash".

He's like a circus clown his strange ways causes people to make a deal out of it, he's by now the most popular speaker on the show and is subject of many internet memes. Frankly I an not amused, and can't take him seriously.
I hope no one can.

Julio R said:
He's like a circus clown his strange ways causes people to make a deal out of it, he's by now the most popular speaker on the show and is subject of many internet memes. Frankly I an not amused, and can't take him seriously.
I hope no one can.

It would be nice if you let us know who you are talking about. Unfortunately, it isn't that obvious as this whole thread is about various buffoons on the History channel.

DiracPool said:
It would be nice if you let us know who you are talking about. Unfortunately, it isn't that obvious as this whole thread is about various buffoons on the History channel.

He's talking about

tumblr_mavqx72Tew1rg0c3ao1_500.jpg

DiracPool said:

My apologies. It was a reply to your comment and micromass' comment on why they let him go on air. Well people get a kick out of his weirdness.

turbo said:
Possibly the BS channel. I have stopped watching anything from that venue.
Just now getting around to this one. I smiled seeing you being the first to respond. :)

micromass said:
He's talking about

tumblr_mavqx72Tew1rg0c3ao1_500.jpg

:smile::smile::smile::smile: