Anyone else have a book addiction?

• Thread starter Mondayman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the person loves reading from an early age and has a large collection of books spanning multiple subjects. They especially enjoy reading science fiction and trashy novels.
Mondayman
I read every opportunity I get, and I'm usually studying from multiple textbooks at once. As a result I have a large collection of books spanning multiple subjects. Adding books to this collection is an (expensive) addiction for me.

My favorites are The Feynman Lectures, my WW1 personal memoir collection, and the war diaries for the Leibstandarte and Das Reich Divisions in WW2. For Whom the Bell Tolls and Storm of Steel are the best books I've ever read.

So far Griffith's E&M is my favorite textbook. All of Paul Nahin's books are great as well.

I'm sure many of you here on PF are big readers and have sizable collections of texts and books. Who else takes pride in their personal library? What are your favorites?

Physics news on Phys.org
I read voraciously from an early age to maybe 60 or so, then tapered off quite a bit. My first love in adult reading was the early Sci Fic greats, Asimov, Heinlein, Bradbury etc etc, then I added a lot of great literature, Shakespeare etc. and in mid-life I switched over to popcorn novels, Grisham, Ludlum, Turow, and lots of others. Lately I've been into even more trashy crap like Robert Parker, Brad Thor, Lee Child, etc.

I think my favorite STEM book was an edition from the early 1960's of The Thomas book on Calculus.

Likes Mondayman
phinds said:
Lee Child,
Tom Cruise is NOT Jack Reacher, uh-uh, nope, no way. Obviously the movies aren't even a "little bit" true to character.

Likes phinds
For me textbooks were only used as references. With the internet, when I can check something up with a quick search, I don't use them anymore.

BUT I recently just reread the Wheel of Time and the original Dune series :oldbiggrin:

I enjoyed Starship Troopers by Heinlein. The movie was so bad it was funny, however.

My addiction is so bad that I'm going to unload ~50% of my physics collection and try to not purchase any more. If I do, it'll be for work purposes and minimal at that.

Likes Mondayman
I feel the same way. My wife and I have donated four boxes in the last few months and we are still over flowing. I don't want to get rid of any of the good stuff.

I can relate to that. There's a great bookstore near my place and it's so hard not to stop by whenever I'm out. I just can't stop buying books!

Likes bhobba
Same here. My favourite is Landau - Mechanics. Although of late I find myself reading books on the history of science more than I did in the past. 65 now - doing long math calculations or following a complex proof is less appealing.

Thanks
Bill

1. What causes a book addiction?

A book addiction can be caused by a variety of factors such as a love for reading, a need for escapism, or a desire for knowledge and understanding. It can also be influenced by environmental factors, such as growing up in a household where reading was encouraged.

2. How can a book addiction impact someone's life?

A book addiction can have both positive and negative impacts on someone's life. On the positive side, it can improve literacy skills, expand knowledge and perspectives, and provide a healthy form of entertainment. However, on the negative side, it can lead to neglect of other responsibilities, financial strain from constantly buying books, and isolation from social activities.

3. Is a book addiction a form of escapism?

Yes, a book addiction can be a form of escapism. It allows individuals to immerse themselves in different worlds and characters, providing a temporary escape from reality. This can be a healthy coping mechanism, but it is important to balance it with other aspects of life.

4. How can someone manage a book addiction?

Managing a book addiction can involve setting limits on book purchases, finding new hobbies or activities to balance reading, and seeking support from friends or a therapist if the addiction becomes overwhelming. It is important to find a healthy balance and recognize when reading is interfering with other aspects of life.

5. Can a book addiction be harmful?

While reading itself is not harmful, a book addiction can become harmful if it begins to negatively impact one's life. This can include neglecting responsibilities, isolating from loved ones, or causing financial strain. It is important to recognize the signs of a harmful addiction and seek help if needed.