Anybody know a general way to approach this sin/cos integral?

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for simplifying the integral \int_0^T \sin(at+b) \cos(ct+d) dt, including using identities for trigonometric functions, using exponential form, and using the integration by parts method. It is also mentioned that the integral can be simplified if it is integrated over a whole period. Ultimately, the conversation ends with the person using the integration by parts method to solve the integral.
AxiomOfChoice
Anyone know a nifty change of variables or trigonometric identity that will make this integral relatively easy to do:

[tex]
\int_0^T \sin(at+b) \cos(ct+d) dt
[/tex]

'Cause from where I'm standing, that's pretty awful...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the integration over a whole period? That would simplify things significantly.

well if you use the identities for sin(A+B) and cos(A+B) you can change it into four simpler integrals.

Could you integrate cos(ax)sin(bx) with respect to x? if you can then using the above identities helps.

I would choose the exponential form which makes it a matter of algebraic manipulation, but using trigonometric identities is equality valid.
[tex]sin(\theta) = \frac{e^{i\theta} - e^{-i\theta}}{2i}[/tex]
and [tex]cos(\theta) = = \frac{e^{i\theta} + e^{-i\theta}}{2}[/tex]
substituting in the original equation, you'll eventually end up with an expression of the form
[tex]\frac{e^{ix} - e^{-ix} + e^{iy} - e^{-iy}}{4i}[/tex]
getting that back to the trigonometric form, you should end up with two easy integrals, namely the integral of 1/2sin(x) + 1/2sin(y)

Last edited:
Remember that:
[tex]\sin(u)\cos(v)=\frac{1}{2}(\sin(u+v)+\sin(u-v))[/tex]

All of these are great suggestions. But I just wound up doing it by parts. It wasn't too bad.

Thanks though. :smile:

Related to Anybody know a general way to approach this sin/cos integral?

1. What is the general approach to solving a sin/cos integral?

The general approach to solving a sin/cos integral involves using trigonometric identities and substitution techniques to transform the integral into a form that can be easily evaluated.

2. How do I choose the appropriate substitution for a sin/cos integral?

The choice of substitution depends on the form of the integral. Typically, trigonometric identities such as double angle or half angle formulas are used to simplify the integral. In some cases, a u-substitution may be necessary.

3. Can the limits of integration affect the approach to solving a sin/cos integral?

Yes, the limits of integration can affect the approach to solving a sin/cos integral. In some cases, the limits may need to be adjusted to match the substitution used. For example, if a u-substitution is used, the limits may need to be expressed in terms of u.

4. Are there any special techniques for solving specific types of sin/cos integrals?

Yes, there are special techniques for solving certain types of sin/cos integrals. Some common techniques include using the half angle or double angle formulas, completing the square, or using trigonometric identities to rewrite the integral in a simpler form.

5. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when solving a sin/cos integral?

Yes, there are some common mistakes to watch out for when solving a sin/cos integral. These include incorrect use of trigonometric identities, forgetting to apply the chain rule when using substitution, and not simplifying the integral before attempting to evaluate it.