Any suggestions for inorganic chemistry problem books?

In summary, the speaker is struggling with the difficulty of the problems on their inorganic chemistry exams, as they are much more challenging than the assigned problem sets and textbook. They are looking for a supplemental problem book to help them practice and improve their understanding. They mention that Inorganic II is typically more difficult and recommend the book "Inorganic Chemistry" by Miessler and Tarr for its advanced level and abundance of practice problems.
poodlefarm
I just took an exam in my first semester inorganic course.
I do all the homework without too much trouble and read the material but the problems on the exams are out of this world. They are nothing like the assigned problem sets and the problems in the course book . I've gone through the standard " 3000 chemistry problems solved" and the book we are using in the course is, according to the instuctor, an advanced text.

From what I've learned in my three semesters of calculus is that the only way to really get the material is to do as many problems as possible.
The difficulty I'm having in chemistry, I know, is that I can't find enough challenging problems to practice with.

Does anyone know of a good advanced chemistry problem book? I'm just looking for a supplement to my text which is Zuhmdal's " Chemical Princilples". Just a book with a lot of problems.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Inorganic I is usually pretty easy, there is a big jump from inorganic I to inorganic II. In II you get to learn all about bonding theory and group theory. Inorganic Chemistry by Miessler and Tarr has a lot of problems in it, and the text is not written on the easiest level.

One suggestion for an advanced inorganic chemistry problem book is "Inorganic Chemistry: Principles of Structure and Reactivity" by James E. Huheey, Ellen A. Keiter, and Richard L. Keiter. This book has a wide range of challenging problems that cover various topics in inorganic chemistry. Another option is "Problems and Solutions: Inorganic Chemistry" by I. A. Ibragimov and A. M. Kakhramanov, which also has a large collection of advanced inorganic chemistry problems with detailed solutions. Additionally, you can also try "Advanced Inorganic Chemistry: A Comprehensive Text" by F. Albert Cotton and Geoffrey Wilkinson, which has a section dedicated to problem-solving exercises. Ultimately, the key is to practice as many problems as possible and to seek out challenging ones to truly solidify your understanding of the material. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Any suggestions for inorganic chemistry problem books?

What are some good inorganic chemistry problem books?

Some popular inorganic chemistry problem books include "Inorganic Chemistry by Catherine Housecroft and Alan Sharpe", "Problems and Solutions: Inorganic Chemistry by R.D. Madan", and "Inorganic Chemistry: A Problem Oriented Approach by David S. Hage and James E. House". It ultimately depends on your personal preference and learning style.

Are there any problem books specifically for beginners in inorganic chemistry?

Yes, there are several problem books designed for beginners in inorganic chemistry. Some examples include "Inorganic Chemistry for Dummies" by Michael Matson and Alvin W. Orbaek, and "Inorganic Chemistry: Practice Problems for Beginners" by Anna Watson.

Do these problem books come with solutions or answer keys?

Many inorganic chemistry problem books do come with solutions or answer keys, but it may vary from book to book. It is always a good idea to check the book description or reviews before purchasing to ensure that solutions are included.

Can these problem books be used for self-study or are they meant for classroom use?

In general, inorganic chemistry problem books can be used for both self-study and classroom use. However, some may be better suited for self-study as they may not follow a traditional textbook structure. Again, it is important to read the book description or reviews to determine its purpose and suitability for your needs.

Are there any problem books specifically for advanced topics in inorganic chemistry?

Yes, there are several problem books that cover advanced topics in inorganic chemistry. Some examples include "Advanced Inorganic Chemistry: A Comprehensive Text" by Cotton, Wilkinson, Gaus, and Murillo, and "Advanced Problems in Inorganic Chemistry" by V.K. Jangid and N.C. Chaudhary.