Any sources on how to generate a nomogram?

In summary, the speaker has been interested in analog computers and has found a simple application at work that involves solving for RPM given a part diameter and feed speed. They believe a nomogram would be useful for this purpose, and while there are tools available to create nomograms, they are considering creating one themselves using MATLAB or a similar program. They also mention a Java tool and a PDF article on nomography as potential resources for this project.
jasc15
I've been very interested in analog computers lately, and a simple application of one has come up at work where I simply need to solve for RPM given a part diameter and feed (tangential) speed. It's simple enough to do the calculation in each instance, but I think it would be useful for the machine operators to refer to a nomogram for this purpose. A table would work too, but that would be rather large and cumbersome. I'm sure a nomogram for this exact application has been made before, but I can't seem to find one on the web, and I think it would be a good exercise to generate one myself.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I have some MATLAB experience, but none in Python. I was thinking of going the pencil and paper route to determine if the scales should be linear or log (pretty sure linear in this case), and what their spacing/orientation should be, then draw the nomograph in AutoCAD or something. I might try MATLAB (freemat), though my experience with it might not be relevant to this type of task.

jasc15 said:
I have some MATLAB experience, but none in Python. I was thinking of going the pencil and paper route to determine if the scales should be linear or log (pretty sure linear in this case), and what their spacing/orientation should be, then draw the nomograph in AutoCAD or something. I might try MATLAB (freemat), though my experience with it might not be relevant to this type of task.

There was that Java app that I mentioned earlier that might help.

Related to Any sources on how to generate a nomogram?

1. How do I create a nomogram?

Creating a nomogram involves several steps, including determining the variables and their relationships, gathering data, and using a mathematical formula to plot the data on a graph. There are also online tools and software programs that can assist in creating a nomogram.

2. What are the benefits of using a nomogram?

Nomograms are useful for visually representing complex data and relationships between variables. They can also assist in making predictions and calculations, and are often used in fields such as medicine, engineering, and statistics.

3. Where can I find sources for nomogram generation?

There are many sources available for learning how to generate a nomogram, including textbooks, scientific journals, and online resources. It may also be helpful to consult with a mentor or colleague who has experience creating nomograms.

4. Can nomograms be used for any type of data?

Nomograms are most commonly used for data that can be represented on a linear or logarithmic scale, such as numerical data. However, they can also be adapted for categorical data or other types of data with the appropriate mathematical formula.

5. Are there any limitations to using nomograms?

Nomograms are a useful tool, but they do have some limitations. They may not be suitable for extremely complex data or relationships, and they may not be as precise as other methods of data analysis. It is important to carefully consider the data and purpose before deciding to use a nomogram.