Any recommendations for using Matlab GUI with microcontrollers?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a microcontroller and a GUI in Matlab for serial communication. The speaker plans to have the microcontroller receive data from Matlab and is seeking advice and examples from others who have experience with this. LabView is suggested as a possible option for this type of project.
anita1984
Hi Forum , i am planning to communicate with the microcontroller via serial communication and a GUI in matlab.
On microcontroller , I can make a serial terminal program that waits for data from MatLab coming through a serial port on the computer. From there I can make it so that MatLab can send ASCII strings to the microcontroller.
Someone did this work before ? or similar? because it will helps me a lot to start with the GUI Matlab , or in another way , how do you recommend me to start , do you have any example ?
Thanks in advance,
Anita

Physics news on Phys.org
anita1984 said:
or similar?
A lot of the guys I know use labView for this sort of thing. It's a GUI toolkit for industrial machine automation.

According to a http://www.mathworks.com/company/newsletters/digest/2006/may/mpc555.html turns up all sorts of options.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Any recommendations for using Matlab GUI with microcontrollers?

1. How can I use Matlab GUI to control a microcontroller?

To use Matlab GUI to control a microcontroller, you will need to first establish a serial communication between the two devices. This can be done by using the "serial" command in Matlab and specifying the appropriate port and baud rate. Once the communication is established, you can use Matlab's graphical interface to send commands and data to the microcontroller, which can then execute them accordingly.

2. Can I design a custom user interface for my microcontroller using Matlab GUI?

Yes, you can design a custom user interface for your microcontroller using Matlab GUI. Matlab has a built-in guide tool that allows you to create interactive and user-friendly interfaces for your microcontroller. You can add buttons, sliders, text boxes, and other elements to your interface and program them to send commands to the microcontroller.

3. Is it possible to transfer data from the microcontroller to Matlab using the GUI?

Yes, it is possible to transfer data from the microcontroller to Matlab using the GUI. You can program the microcontroller to send data back to Matlab through the serial communication established between the two devices. Then you can use Matlab's data visualization tools to analyze and display the data in real-time.

4. Can I use Matlab GUI to program my microcontroller?

No, you cannot use Matlab GUI to directly program your microcontroller. You will need to use a separate programming language, such as C or Assembly, to write the code for your microcontroller. However, you can use Matlab to send commands and data to the microcontroller and receive data from it, making it a useful tool for controlling and monitoring your microcontroller.

5. Is the use of Matlab GUI limited to a specific type of microcontroller?

No, the use of Matlab GUI is not limited to a specific type of microcontroller. As long as the microcontroller has a serial communication capability, you can use Matlab to communicate with it and control it through the GUI. However, you may need to make some adjustments in the code depending on the specific microcontroller's communication protocol.