Any reason why this kind of problem is so hard?

• MHB
  • Thread starter DeusAbscondus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard Reason
In summary: Nerd])In summary, the derivative of $\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+3}}$ can be found using the quotient rule, which is derived from the product rule. It simplifies to $\frac{3}{(x^2+3)^{3/2}}$.
DeusAbscondus
$$\frac{d}{dx} \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+3}}$$
I've been trying to get this for an hour now and I just get a mess; could anyone lend me a hand to see where I'm going wrong?

thx,
DeusAbs

Physics news on Phys.org
DeusAbscondus said:
$$\frac{d}{dx} \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+3}}$$
I've been trying to get this for an hour now and I just get a mess; could anyone lend me a hand to see where I'm going wrong?

thx,
DeusAbs

I've tried it this way:
$$y'=x(x^2+3)^{-1/2}$$
$$=1(x^2+3)^{-1/2}+x\cdot -\frac{1}{2}(x^2+3)^{-3/2}\cdot 2x$$
$$=(x^2+3)^{-1/2}+x\cdot -\frac{2x}{2}(x^2+3)^{-3/2}$$
$$=(x^2+3)^{-1/2}+x^2(x^2+3)^{-3/2}$$

starting to look messy and I've got a feeling that I've made the same mistake somewhere but can;'t see it

Last edited:
Applying the quotient rule, we find:

$\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+3}} \right)=\frac{\sqrt{x^2+3}(1)-x\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+3}} \right)}{x^2+3}=\frac{x^2+3-x^2}{(x^2+3)^{\frac{3}{2}}}=\frac{3}{(x^2+3)^{ \frac{3}{2}}}$

MarkFL said:
Applying the quotient rule, we find:

$\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+3}} \right)=\frac{\sqrt{x^2+3}(1)-x\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+3}} \right)}{x^2+3}=\frac{x^2+3-x^2}{(x^2+3)^{\frac{3}{2}}}=\frac{3}{(x^2+3)^{ \frac{3}{2}}}$
right, but is there any reasonable in principle why the product rule shouldn't work pretty straightforwardly in this case?

i'm going to continue with product rule, as I havent' come across an argument to best CB's which goes like this: "why carry around in one's head a single redundant formula? The quotient rule seems redundant to me, thus I proceed doggedly:

$$y'=x(x^2+3)^{-1/2}$$
$$=1(x^2+3)^{-1/2}+x\cdot -\frac{1}{2}(x^2+3)^{-3/2}\cdot 2x$$
$$=(x^2+3)^{-1/2}+x\cdot -\frac{2x}{2}(x^2+3)^{-3/2}$$
$$=(x^2+3)^{-1/2}+x^2(x^2+3)^{-3/2}$$
$$=\frac{1}{(x^2+3)^{1/2}}-\frac{x^2}{(x^2+3)^{3/2}}=\frac{(x^2+3-x^2)}{(x^2+3)^{3/2}}=\frac{3}{(x^2+3)^{3/2}}$$

Voila! Je l'ai eu, ce fils de satan!

Last edited:
DeusAbscondus said:
right, but is there any reasonable in principle why the product rule shouldn't work pretty straightforwardly in this case?

i'm going to continue with product rule, as I havent' come across an argument to best CB's which goes like this: "why carry around in one's head a single redundant formula? The quotient rule seems redundant to me, thus I proceed doggedly:

Hi DeusAbscondus, :)

The way you have tried to do the problem is correct but you can simplify further.

\begin{eqnarray}

\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+3}} \right)&=&\frac{d}{dx}\left[x(x^2+3)^{-1/2}\right]\\

&=&(x^2+3)^{-1/2}+x\left[-\frac{1}{2}.(x^2+3)^{-3/2}.2x\right]\\

&=&\frac{1}{(x^2+3)^{1/2}}-\frac{x^2}{(x^2+3)^{3/2}}\\

&=&\frac{(x^2+3)-x^2}{(x^2+3)^{3/2}}\\

&=&\frac{3}{(x^2+3)^{3/2}}

\end{eqnarray}

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Sudharaka said:
Hi DeusAbscondus, :)

The way you have tried to do the problem is correct but you can simplify further.

\begin{eqnarray}

\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+3}} \right)&=&\frac{d}{dx}\left[x(x^2+3)^{-1/2}\right]\\

&=&(x^2+3)^{-1/2}+x\left[-\frac{1}{2}.(x^2+3)^{-3/2}.2x\right]\\

&=&\frac{1}{(x^2+3)^{1/2}}-\frac{x^2}{(x^2+3)^{3/2}}\\

&=&\frac{(x^2+3)-x^2}{(x^2+3)^{3/2}}\\

&=&\frac{3}{(x^2+3)^{3/2}}

\end{eqnarray}

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Thanks kindly Sudharaka; I got there just as I saw your post come up!
I don't know why I have such persistent trouble with these; but there is no way back now! I will just have to get there by dogged persistence, as I am too close to becoming a Time Lord when I come to master the Integral ...(Nerd)

DeusAbscondus said:
Thanks kindly Sudharaka; I got there just as I saw your post come up!
I don't know why I have such persistent trouble with these; but there is no way back now! I will just have to get there by dogged persistence, as I am too close to becoming a Time Lord when I come to master the Integral ...(Nerd)

You are welcome. Note that the Quotient rule can be derived from the product rule. :) In fact whenever you have a quotient of two functions \(\frac{f}{g}\) you can view it as a product of \(f\) and \(\frac{1}{g}\). So using the product rule you can get,

\begin{eqnarray}

\left(\frac{f}{g}\right)'&=&\frac{f'}{g}+f\left( \frac{1}{g}\right)'\\

&=&\frac{f'}{g}-\frac{fg'}{g^2}\\

&=&\frac{f'g-fg'}{g^2}\\

\end{eqnarray}

which is the quotient rule.

Sudharaka said:
You are welcome. Note that the Quotient rule can be derived from the product rule. :) In fact whenever you have a quotient of two functions \(\frac{f}{g}\) you can view it as a product of \(f\) and \(\frac{1}{g}\). So using the product rule you can get,

\begin{eqnarray}

\left(\frac{f}{g}\right)'&=&\frac{f'}{g}+f\left( \frac{1}{g}\right)'\\

&=&\frac{f'}{g}-\frac{fg'}{g^2}\\

&=&\frac{f'g-fg'}{g^2}\\

\end{eqnarray}

which is the quotient rule.

Thanks Sudharaka. Going to write this up immediately in my memory cards.
(Using geogebra's latex facility to do this conveniently and neatly, with graphs sketched into go with the calculations, after much "shopping around" and trying different software)

DeusAbscondus said:

i'm going to continue with product rule, as I havent' come across an argument to best CB's which goes like this: "why carry around in one's head a single redundant formula? The quotient rule seems redundant to me...

Ah, but it's not, at least not to my mind. The quotient rule allows you to avoid finding the common denominator (introducing possibilities for error), as well as giving you an integration formula that, while not used often, has http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f9/favorite-old-threads-best-math-thread-1-a-424/.

So the product-rule-only approach does allow you to remember one less formula, at the cost of more algebra. The quotient-rule approach allows you to do less algebra, at the cost of remembering one more formula. But the formula has a nice mnemonic device: "low dee-high minus high dee-low over the square of what's below." So it's not too bad.

I'm in favor of the quotient rule, because I'd rather do more calculus and less algebra.

Ackbach said:
Ah, but it's not, at least not to my mind. The quotient rule allows you to avoid finding the common denominator (introducing possibilities for error), as well as giving you an integration formula that, while not used often, has http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f9/favorite-old-threads-best-math-thread-1-a-424/.

So the product-rule-only approach does allow you to remember one less formula, at the cost of more algebra. The quotient-rule approach allows you to do less algebra, at the cost of remembering one more formula. But the formula has a nice mnemonic device: "low dee-high minus high dee-low over the square of what's below." So it's not too bad.

I'm in favor of the quotient rule, because I'd rather do more calculus and less algebra.
Ackbach, I love this. Thanks.
If you get a chance, please render your mnemonic more explicit, and I'll practice it, use it and see if I can see what you are getting at.
I have a heap of such problems I'm working through now, ALL by product rule, and, it must be admitted, with mistakes a plenty. But I have never worked with quotient rule and though I know it, I just can't see how the mnemonic captures it.

Greatly appreciate your responses,
DeusAbs

Here's the correspondence of the mnemonic with the quotient rule ('dee' means 'take the derivative of'):

$$\text{dee}\,\left(\frac{\text{high}}{\text{low}}\right)=\frac{\text{low dee-high}-\text{high dee-low}}{\text{low}^{2}}.$$
"Low dee-high minus high dee-low over the square of what's below."

Just like

$$\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{h(x)}{\ell(x)}\right)= \frac{ \ell(x)\,\frac{d}{dx}\,h(x)-h(x)\,\frac{d}{dx}\,\ell(x)}{\ell^{2}(x)}.$$

Incidentally, you might also check into logarithmic differentiation for these kinds of problems. That might help a bit.

Ackbach said:
Incidentally, you might also check into logarithmic differentiation for these kinds of problems. That might help a bit.

Thanks again.

Incidentally, I've just had considerably greater success at a heap of probs (admittedly, for the second or third time around for some of them), this time, though, using the quotient rule where appropriate.

Provisionally convinced. Suffice to say I henceforth carry it as one more tool in the kit!

DeusAbs

Related to Any reason why this kind of problem is so hard?

1. Why is it important to study difficult problems in science?

Studying difficult problems in science allows us to expand our knowledge and understanding of the world. It also pushes the boundaries of current research and can lead to groundbreaking discoveries and advancements.

2. What makes a problem difficult in science?

A problem can be difficult in science due to its complexity, lack of available data or resources, or because it involves multiple disciplines and requires a multidisciplinary approach.

3. How do scientists approach solving difficult problems?

Scientists use the scientific method, which involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to reach a conclusion. They also collaborate with other experts and continuously review and refine their methods.

4. Can technology help in solving difficult scientific problems?

Yes, technology plays a crucial role in solving difficult scientific problems. It allows for more accurate and efficient data collection, analysis, and experimentation. It also enables scientists to visualize and model complex systems and processes.

5. What are some challenges scientists face when working on difficult problems?

Some challenges scientists face when working on difficult problems include limited funding and resources, conflicting evidence or theories, and the pressure to produce results within a certain timeframe. There may also be ethical considerations and potential risks associated with the research.