Any models that can predict nuclear reactions?

Matic is not available.In summary, the conversation discussed the search for models, software, or codes that can predict the probabilities of nuclear reactions, specifically for a computer game. The person asking the question is interested in determining the various ways a given isotope can be produced and is open to using models that may not be completely accurate. The suggestion to google "nucleus nucleus collision" was given and the person did some research, finding MCNP and GEANT4 as potential options. It was also noted that Strat-O-Matic is not available for this purpose.
Strat-O
Are there any good models, software or codes that can predict the probabilities of nuclear reactions where an atom of a given type strikes another atom of another type with a given energy? Or is this information only obtainable experimentally?

To further clarify, I am interested determining the ways that a given isotope can be produced including neutron, proton, gamma rays of various energies. This is for a computer game so even a model that is somewhat off could still be used as a representation of reality in the game as long as it seemed realistic.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It is a very complicated subject. I suggest you google "nucleus nucleus collision".

Thanks mathman.

I did some research and first came up with MCNP but that is not available to the public but then noticed GEANT4. I had actually compiled and installed GEANT4 a few years ago on a Linux box of with the intent of modeling geometry of a linac. I forgot that it has the ability to simulate nuclear reactions.

Strat-O

Related to Any models that can predict nuclear reactions?

1. How do scientists predict nuclear reactions?

Scientists use mathematical models and computer simulations to predict nuclear reactions. These models take into account factors such as the energy level of the particles involved and the probability of interaction between them.

2. Can these models accurately predict all types of nuclear reactions?

No, these models may not be able to accurately predict all types of nuclear reactions. Some reactions may involve complex interactions that are difficult to model, or may be influenced by external factors that are hard to account for.

3. What are the limitations of nuclear reaction prediction models?

The limitations of nuclear reaction prediction models include uncertainties in the data used to create the model, as well as the simplifications and assumptions made in the modeling process. These limitations can affect the accuracy of the predictions.

4. How do scientists validate the accuracy of these models?

Scientists validate the accuracy of nuclear reaction prediction models by comparing their predictions to experimental data. If the predictions closely match the experimental results, it indicates that the model is accurate. However, if there are significant discrepancies, the model may need to be refined or improved.

5. Can these models be used to predict the outcome of a specific nuclear reaction?

Yes, these models can be used to predict the outcome of a specific nuclear reaction, but with some degree of uncertainty. The accuracy of the prediction will depend on the complexity of the reaction and the limitations of the model. It is important to continue refining and improving these models to increase their accuracy and reliability.