Any interesting application of mathematics?

In summary, the conversation discusses a project about an application of mathematics that needs to be solved using MATLAB. The speaker is considering topics such as optics, fractals, relativity, or paintings/architecture and is looking for interesting applications of mathematics that may be surprising to graduate students. They mention the use of mathematics in processing text, encrypting data, finding the right server, and detecting errors in digital music recording. The speaker also mentions a book about the pyramids in Egypt that discusses numerological concepts. They suggest searching for articles in the SIAM News archives for more ideas.
StephvsEinst
Hey!
I have to do a work about one of the many applications of mathematics. I have to study the math behind a certain subject and use MATLAB to solve some kind of problem associated with the topic.
I am on the final year of graduation and I thought of doing about optics, fractals, relativity or paintings/architecture (perspective, etc.). I wouldn't like to spend a lot of time on this and I thought of doing about optics or something related to physics as I am in the final year of gaduation.
Do you know any interesting application of mathematics? (doesn't have to be connected to physics)

Thank you.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
StephvsEinst said:
Do you know any interesting application of mathematics?
Depends on your definition of "interesting".
Does "all of physics" count? The other sciences use mathematics a lot, too.

The text I am writing here is processed on a system that uses a lot of mathematics to process it, then uses mathematics to encrypt it, more mathematics to convert it to a format that is easier to transmit via the internet, even more mathematics to find the right target server, where it gets decrypted and stored in a database that has some fancy algorithms to find the right posts out of ~5 millions as fast as possible to send them to you.

I sat in once on a talk about how music can beencoded on CDs so that errors can be detected, and in some cases, corrected. The technology involved makes us of vector spaces of dimension 16 and higher and the distance between vectors in that space.

I know mathematics is in the base of the pyramid. I was looking for some peculiar mathematical applications, which may be surprising for most of graduated students (or even for those who have a master degree/phd in mathematics/physics/etc).
Mark44 do you know any paper or book that has any kind of approach of what you just said?

Thank you for your comments.

StephvsEinst said:
I know mathematics is in the base of the pyramid. I was looking for some peculiar mathematical applications, which may be surprising for most of graduated students (or even for those who have a master degree/phd in mathematics/physics/etc).
Mark44 do you know any paper or book that has any kind of approach of what you just said?
I don't know of any off the top of my head. The talk I went to was about 30 years ago. I would do a search for something like "error correction in digital music recording" - something along those lines.

With regard to pyramids, I saw a book one time about the pyramids in Egypt. It started out with some interesting points, but soon descended into numerological nonsense.

The Society For Industrial And Applied Mathematics (SIAM) publishes a newsletter (SIAM News) with articles about interesting applications of mathematics. You might find an idea by browsing the Archives online at http://www.siam.org/news/

Related to Any interesting application of mathematics?

1. What is the most commonly used branch of mathematics in practical applications?

The most commonly used branch of mathematics in practical applications is calculus. It is used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics to model and solve real-world problems related to rates of change and optimization.

2. How is mathematics used in computer science?

Mathematics is essential in computer science as it provides the foundation for algorithms, data structures, and coding languages. It is used to analyze and design efficient algorithms, create computer graphics, and develop encryption methods for cybersecurity.

3. Can mathematics help solve real-life problems?

Yes, mathematics is used to solve a wide range of real-life problems in various fields such as finance, medicine, and transportation. For example, mathematics is used in finance to calculate interest rates and in medicine to model and predict the spread of diseases.

4. What is the role of statistics in data analysis?

Statistics is a branch of mathematics that deals with collecting, organizing, analyzing, and interpreting data. It is used in data analysis to summarize and make sense of large sets of data, identify patterns and trends, and make predictions based on the data.

5. How does mathematics contribute to advancements in technology?

Mathematics plays a crucial role in technological advancements by providing the tools and methods for solving complex problems. For instance, mathematics is used in creating and optimizing algorithms for artificial intelligence, developing computer vision technology, and improving communication networks.