Any information on an old physics textbook?

In summary, the OP is looking for a university physics textbook from the 1970s that he used to frequently check out. He can't remember the name of the author or the publisher, but he is confident it was published between 1977-1979. The cover may have featured a large Van de Graff generator, and the book may have been based in calculus.
Scott4775
Hi everyone,

I apologize if I've placed this in the wrong section. I don't know if anyone will be able to help me with this, but after an exhaustive search of the net, I can't seem to find my answer.

There is a university physics textbook that my local public library once had in circulation (they no longer do) that I used to frequently check out as a teenager. I would love to see if I can find this book once again but unfortunately, I do not know the name(s) of the author nor the publisher. The only information I can recall is that the title is "Physics" in large white letters (I believe). I am sure the publication was in the 1970's; I feel confident it was probably between 1977-1979 range. The book's cover was a picture of electrical discharges, not a picture of lightning, but rather in a kind of laboratory doing electrical experimentation, if that makes sense.

If this sounds familiar to anyone and if anyone has any information whatsoever regarding the publisher or author(s), I would be greatly appreciative. I'm sorry my description is so choppy.

Thank you for taking the time to read!

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing that comes to my mind is "Physics" by David Halliday and Robert Resnick, which was a very common textbook for many years. They also did a somewhat reduced version called "Fundamentals of Physics" which was also very popular. I used that one when I was an undergraduate in the early 1970s, and taught a course from it in the mid 1980s.

Both textbooks are still available, but have been "taken over" by other authors as the originals retired:

Physics (Halliday, Resnick & Krane)

Fundamentals of Physics (Halliday, Resnick & Walker)

Check also this search.

Maybe:

41pjqjJQ8eL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201565188/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thank you to all who have responded and offered help. I really appreciate the assistance!

I've examined some of the suggestions but to no avail. It's probably been at least fifteen years since I last laid eyes on this book, so my memory is kind of fuzzy on the details. If this helps at all, I seem to recall the color of the text was in a maroon/red-brick color. It was a calculus-based text also.

Also, I can't guarantee that what I'm about to say is correct, but there may have been a large Van de Graff (possibly two) generator on the front cover. As I said earlier, I recall it being a picture of a laboratory setting doing electrical experimentation of some kind.

As far as the year bracket goes, I do remember knowing that was one of the publication years. I don't think it was released any earlier than 1977, but I could be wrong.

Again, I appreciate any and all further assistance.

Related to Any information on an old physics textbook?

What is the age of the physics textbook?

The age of a physics textbook can vary depending on the edition, publication date, and printing date. Typically, the copyright date can give an indication of the age of the textbook.

Is the information in an old physics textbook still relevant?

It depends on the subject matter and how much the field of physics has evolved since the textbook was published. If the textbook covers fundamental principles and theories, the information may still be relevant. However, if it covers more specific or niche topics, the information may be outdated.

Can an old physics textbook be used for current studies?

Again, it depends on the subject matter and how much the field of physics has advanced. If the textbook covers general topics and principles, it may still be useful for current studies. However, if it covers more specific or advanced topics, it may not be as useful.

How can I determine the accuracy of the information in an old physics textbook?

One way to determine the accuracy is to cross-reference the information with more recent textbooks or reputable online sources. You can also consult with experts or professors in the field of physics to verify the information.

Are there any valuable historical or cultural insights in old physics textbooks?

Yes, old physics textbooks can provide insights into the development and evolution of the field of physics. They may also offer cultural perspectives and historical context of scientific advancements.