Any ideas what these green/white checkerboard patterns are used for?

In summary, there is a mysterious 1-page printout with seven 25x4 checkerboards that have different numbers in the white squares. Every other checkerboard is repeated and there is a counting pattern from right to left, with exceptions of adding 32 to each square from the first to the second checkerboard. The remaining information on the printout may be related to the overall game plan or schedule of an NFL team.
berkeman
Mentor
I've seen a printout like this at a printer at my work a couple times over the last year, and have not been able to figure out what they are used for. Does anybody know of a game or come crypto decode technique that uses such patterns?

the 1-page printout has seven of these 25x4 checkerboards on it, and most of the middle 21 columns have different numbers in the white squares... I'll paste the first few patterns in full-size and also include the full page as a thumbnail attachment...

Edit/Add -- Actually looking closer, every other checkerboard on the page is maybe repeated?

1638644838902.jpeg

Attachments

• Green Checkers01.pdf
    388.6 KB · Views: 108
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, now I'm seeing a counting pattern from right to left. Still no idea what it's used for...

There are actually only 2 of those checkboards, the rest is repeating the first 2.
I removed all redundant information, i.e. constant columns.
Then there is a pattern: +32 on each square from checkboard 1 to checkboard 2 with 6 exceptions.

1638646426171.png

There are 32 teams in the NFL, and 4 divisions in AFC and NFC. 14 or 15 games a week, 2-4 teams on bye.

Maybe it is the overall game plan, or the schedule of one team.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. What is the purpose of these green/white checkerboard patterns?

These patterns are used for a variety of purposes, but most commonly they are used for visual aids in scientific experiments or studies. They can also be used as a type of coding system for identifying different samples or specimens.

2. How do these patterns aid in scientific experiments or studies?

The contrasting colors and repeating pattern of the checkerboard design make it easier to visually track changes or movements in a sample or specimen. This can be especially helpful in studies involving microorganisms or tiny particles.

3. Are there any specific industries or fields where these patterns are commonly used?

Yes, these patterns are frequently used in fields such as biology, chemistry, genetics, and microscopy. They may also be used in industries such as food science, pharmaceuticals, and environmental studies.

4. Can these patterns be customized for different purposes?

Yes, these patterns can be customized to fit the specific needs of a particular experiment or study. This can include changing the color or size of the squares, as well as adding additional markings or symbols within the pattern.

5. Are there any alternative patterns or designs that can serve the same purpose?

Yes, there are various other patterns and designs that can be used for similar purposes, such as grids, circles, or spirals. However, the green/white checkerboard pattern is a commonly used and effective design for many scientific applications.