Any ideas for unsolved topics in Mathematical Physics?

In summary: One of the more recent problems is the so-called black hole entropy catastrophe. This problem pertains to a class of black holes that grow in size as they consume matter. Eventually, the black hole will become so large that not even light can escape. In this case, the entropy of the black hole is maximized.There are also problems in the mathematical foundations of physics, such as the Liouville problem. This problem concerns the mathematical behavior of solutions to certain partial differential equations.
skate_nerd

Homework Statement

Not really sure where this question belongs, but it is based on a school assignment so I'll put it here.
I'm a Physics major and math minor, and I am about halfway through my first group of advanced physics courses (namely intro classes for analytical mechanics, modern physics, and theoretical physics). However I am also taking a mathematical proofs class, and we have a term paper that was just assigned.
The goal of the paper is to tell a compelling story about a mathematical topic that is interesting to us. It should be told at the level so that another mathematics major would be able to read and comprehend it. Acceptable topics include famous solved problems, unsolved problems, history of a mathematical idea, a surprising result, or a mathematical controversy.
Being a physics major I would like to do a paper on mathematical physics, more specifically a famous solved or unsolved problem. I feel like I would be most interested in talking about something like that. However I'm not sure how many of those there are that would be easy to explain in a 3-5 page (single spaced) paper.
Basically I'm just hoping for some ideas. I've got a few myself, but I'd like to see some from people much more experienced in the field. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I like solved problems - for example how can the sizes of stars be measured?

This site introduces the topic: http://mysite.du.edu/~jcalvert/astro/starsiz.htm

There are quite a few unsolved topics in physics.

One of the oldest and most intractable is the general n-body problem arising out of Newton's theory of gravitation. Coupled with this is determining if a complex orbital system, like our solar system, is stable over a long period of time. This latter problem involves chaos theory.

Related to Any ideas for unsolved topics in Mathematical Physics?

1. What are some current unsolved problems in mathematical physics?

Some of the most well-known unsolved problems in mathematical physics include the Navier-Stokes equations, the Yang-Mills existence and mass gap problem, and the Riemann hypothesis.

2. How do mathematicians and physicists work together to solve these problems?

Collaboration between mathematicians and physicists is essential in solving these problems. Mathematicians provide rigorous proofs and mathematical tools, while physicists provide physical insight and experimental data.

3. Can you provide an example of a problem that has been solved using mathematical physics?

One famous example is the proof of Fermat's Last Theorem by Andrew Wiles. He used advanced techniques from number theory and algebraic geometry to solve a problem that had puzzled mathematicians for centuries.

4. Are there any recent developments in mathematical physics that show promise in solving unsolved problems?

Yes, there are constantly new developments and breakthroughs in mathematical physics. For example, the development of string theory has opened up new avenues for solving problems in quantum gravity and unifying the laws of physics.

5. How can understanding mathematical physics benefit society?

Understanding mathematical physics can lead to advancements in technology, medicine, and other fields. For example, the study of fluid dynamics has led to improvements in aerodynamics and weather prediction, while quantum mechanics has led to the development of new technologies such as transistors and lasers.