Any High School Level Engineering Project Ideas?

In summary, a high school engineering team is seeking ideas for projects and contests to do during the school year. Some resources for project ideas include science fair websites, engineering project databases, and brainstorming with friends. It is important to foster creativity and research skills in order to be successful in engineering projects. Some fun and challenging project ideas include designing and building a trebuchet or a glider.
teetar
I'm not too creative, but I'm trying to compile a list of possible ideas that my engineering team can do during this school year. Projects or contests would be great fun, but I can't think of anything. Does anyone here have any ideas of possible ideas for an engineering team in school? Our skill level is rather undeveloped, but we are willing to research and collaborate to conquer many different challenges, as we have done in years past.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

Engineering news on Phys.org
A common (and fun) one to do is to design and build a trebuchet.

teetar said:
I'm not too creative, but I'm trying to compile a list of possible ideas that my engineering team can do during this school year. Projects or contests would be great fun, but I can't think of anything. Does anyone here have any ideas of possible ideas for an engineering team in school? Our skill level is rather undeveloped, but we are willing to research and collaborate to conquer many different challenges, as we have done in years past.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

jack action said:

I'd like to discourage your attitude that "I'm not creative", and encourage you to read through Jack's links. That's one way to get the creative juices flowing. As an engineer, one of your key skills is creativity. It takes work and tricks to be creative, and that is something that your school projects are designed to nurture in you.

Get used to doing lots of Google/other searching (I like Google Images to help me speed up my creative searches), reading Application Notes from manufacturers of parts that you are considering using, get used to setting up brainstorming parties with your friends, etc. One of my favorite things was having Patent Parties when I or other friends got issued a patent. That was a great opportunity to get together with your most creative friends, and celebrate and brainstorm. Fun times! :)

Likes Mbulelo
In my senior year of High School, two of my friends and I designed (and built) a working glider. Small scale of course, the goal was to be able to carrier an egg safely from the top of a building and land on the soccer field below. The glider was not remote controlled and therefore had to be designed to correct itself if wind pushed it in any direction. It is simpler than you would expect, just need to do some research on gliders.

In my senior year of college they brought in a group of high school kids that wanted to be engineers, one of the projects they did was make catapults or trebuchets out of just scrap material and compared to see who could throw the penny the farthest. Was pretty cool, and way more fun than my senior project in college.

Related to Any High School Level Engineering Project Ideas?

1. What are some examples of high school level engineering projects?

Some examples of high school level engineering projects include designing and building a solar-powered car, creating a sustainable water filtration system, constructing a miniature wind turbine, or designing and programming a simple robot.

2. How do I come up with an engineering project idea?

You can come up with an engineering project idea by identifying a problem or challenge in your community or everyday life, and then brainstorming ways to solve it using engineering principles. You can also draw inspiration from your interests and hobbies, and think about how you can incorporate engineering into them.

3. What are some important factors to consider when choosing an engineering project idea?

Some important factors to consider when choosing an engineering project idea include your level of interest and passion for the topic, the availability of resources and materials, the level of complexity and challenge, and the potential impact or benefit of the project.

4. Can I work on an engineering project alone or do I need a team?

It depends on the project and its requirements. Some engineering projects can be completed independently, while others may require a team effort. Working in a team can also bring diverse perspectives and skills to the project, making it more successful.

5. How can I ensure the success of my high school level engineering project?

To ensure the success of your high school level engineering project, it's important to plan and organize your project carefully, conduct thorough research, seek guidance and advice from teachers and mentors, and test and iterate your design. It's also important to have a positive attitude, be open to learning from mistakes, and have fun in the process!