Any Great Linear Algebra Books for First-Time Learners?

In summary, there are a few recommended books for beginners studying linear algebra. For mathematics students, Treil's Linear Algebra done wrong and Lang's Introduction to Linear Algebra are both highly regarded for their clear explanations. For those interested in applications or engineering, Lay's Linear Algebra and Its Applications is a top choice. However, for a first-timer, Paul Shields' Elementary Linear Algebra may be the best option as it is easier to follow and serves as a good introduction to the subject."
kyphysics
What are the best ones and why for a first-timer like myself (doing self-study)?

Thanks very much everyone.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your background and why do you want to learn linear algebra? If you post this information, it will be easier for us to recommend some appropriate ones.

i recommend elementary linear algebra by paul shields.

For mathematics students, I really like Treil's Linear Algebra done wrong (LADW). It covers more than your usual introduction to linear algebra (and it's free!). A somewhat easier introduction that is still very good is Lang's Introduction to Linear Algebra. His explanations are very lucid and the transition from analytical geometry to linear algebra is very natural in my opinion. If you're more into applications or engineering, Lay's Linear Algebra and Its Applications is my favourite. Note that this is only my preference, you should always take a look at the books yourself before buying them.

i also lik treil and lang, but i think shields is easier and a better intro for noobies.

Related to Any Great Linear Algebra Books for First-Time Learners?

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the use of matrices, vectors, and systems of linear equations to solve real-world problems.

2. Why is linear algebra important?

Linear algebra is a fundamental mathematical concept that has numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. It provides a powerful framework for solving complex problems and understanding patterns and relationships in data.

3. What makes a great linear algebra book for first-time learners?

A great linear algebra book for first-time learners should have a clear and concise writing style, plenty of examples and exercises, and a gradual progression of topics. It should also have a good balance between theory and applications, and use visual aids to help with understanding.

4. How do I choose the right linear algebra book for me?

The right linear algebra book for you will depend on your level of mathematical background and your specific learning style. It's important to read reviews and sample chapters to get a sense of the author's writing style and the level of difficulty. You may also want to consult with a math teacher or professor for recommendations.

5. Can you recommend any great linear algebra books for first-time learners?

Some popular linear algebra books for first-time learners include "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler, "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang, and "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David C. Lay. It's best to read reviews and sample chapters to see which book suits your learning style and level of understanding.