Any good references of Petrov Classification?

In summary, there are several good references available for learning about Petrov Classification, including books by Penrose and Rindler, Moshe Carmeli, Ryder, and Stephani. A particularly helpful source is "Survey of gravitational radiation theory" by F.A.E. Pirani, which can be found in the book "Recent Developments in General Relativity."
yicong2011
Is there any good references of Petrov Classification?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I were to go to the nearest college library, I'd search for the 2 volumes of Penrose and Rindler's book on spinors and twistors. If I didn't find the desired treatment, then I would look in all the books Moshe Carmeli wrote.

A readable account appears in "Introduction to General Relativity" from Ryder. Personally, I learned it from Relativity: An Introduction to Special and General Relativity by Stephani.

I tried several sources to learn about this, and I still don't understand it thoroughly at all. The source that worked best for me was "Survey of gravitational radiation theory," F.A.E. Pirani, in Recent Developments in General Relativity, Pergamon, 1962, p. 89. You can presumably find it if you have access to a large university library. It's very concrete and down to earth, and it relates the ideas to their counterparts in E&M.

Related to Any good references of Petrov Classification?

1. What is the Petrov Classification?

The Petrov Classification is a system used in geology to categorize rocks based on their mineral composition and texture. It was developed by Russian geologist A.P. Petrov in the early 20th century.

2. How many categories are there in the Petrov Classification?

There are five main categories in the Petrov Classification, which are determined by the relative proportions of quartz, feldspar, and rock fragments in a rock sample.

3. What are the five categories of the Petrov Classification?

The five categories of the Petrov Classification are granite, syenite, diorite, gabbro, and peridotite. Each category represents a different type of igneous rock with distinct mineral compositions and textures.

4. How is the Petrov Classification used in geology?

The Petrov Classification is used by geologists to identify and classify rocks in the field and in the laboratory. It is also used to understand the geological processes that formed the rocks and to determine their potential uses in industry.

5. Are there any limitations to the Petrov Classification?

While the Petrov Classification is a useful tool in geology, it has some limitations. It is primarily used to classify igneous rocks and may not be suitable for classifying sedimentary or metamorphic rocks. Additionally, the classification scheme does not take into account other important factors such as chemical composition and age of the rocks.