Any cog sci people in the house?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cog
In summary, the conversation is about Cognitive Science and the speaker is interested in hearing from people who have either majored in the field or have taken courses in it. They are curious about others' primary interests in studying Cog Sci and how it relates to their career or major field of study. They also ask for book recommendations on the subject. The conversation ends with the speaker thanking someone named Tom for providing resources and mentioning that they may take a Cog Sci class in the future.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm interested in hearing from people who have either majored in Cognitive Science, or have taken Cognitive Science courses. This is a very interdisciplinary field, and I would like to know what your primary interest (or area of focus) in studying Cog Sci was. I would also like to know how you related it to your career, or to your major field of study if you are a non-major. Additionally, what books on this subject were of particular interest to you?

Thanks,
MIH :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
<crickets>

ok, I guess I was expecting this.

Can't wait for those Cognitive Science club parties. I am sure they'll be a blast. We'll have such a great time. Both of us.

gee.. I've guess never been in a thread all alone before...
I never noticed how BIG it is inside these threads.. and it echoes, too...

Hello... Hello... Hello...

neat.

Thanks, Tom. I will check out those links! I might actually be taking my very first cog sci class this winter, so I am not quite sure what I'll be getting into.
Hypno will probably be getting some very confused PMs from me in the near future. :biggrin:

ok, I should probably leave this thread now. Kinda spooky in here. I'll turn out the lights before I leave. :smile:

Related to Any cog sci people in the house?

1. What is cognitive science?

Cognitive science is the scientific study of the mind and its processes, including perception, attention, memory, problem-solving, language, and decision-making. It is an interdisciplinary field that draws on psychology, neuroscience, computer science, linguistics, and philosophy to understand how the mind works.

2. What do cog sci researchers study?

Cognitive science researchers study a wide range of topics related to the mind and its processes. This may include investigating how the brain processes information, how people make decisions, how language is processed and understood, and how we perceive and interact with the world around us.

3. What are some real-world applications of cognitive science?

Cognitive science has many real-world applications, including improving education and learning, developing better technologies and interfaces, understanding and treating mental illnesses, and improving communication and teamwork in the workplace.

4. How does cognitive science relate to artificial intelligence?

Cognitive science and artificial intelligence (AI) are closely related fields. Cognitive science provides insights into how the human mind works, which can inform the development of AI systems. On the other hand, AI can also help researchers test and refine theories in cognitive science.

5. Are there any famous cognitive scientists?

Yes, there are many famous cognitive scientists, including Noam Chomsky, Steven Pinker, and Daniel Kahneman. These and other researchers have made significant contributions to our understanding of the mind and its processes through their research and theories.