Any books on how physics formulas are derived?

In summary, the speaker is looking for physics books that focus on the derivation of formulas, whether through experiments or a purely mathematical approach. They express frustration with most books that only provide a formula after an introduction and are interested in learning about the derivation process to understand the form of the formulas. They are open to any level of physics books but prefer to start with basic material.
cshum00
I am looking for Physics books which that focuses on how the Physics formulas are derived. I know that some formulas were derived by experiments and how each of the controlled variables relate to each other. That is fine for me too as long as it has the experimental data; although i prefer it to be shown in purely mathematical approach.

I wonder if there are such books out there. Most of the physics book i have just give an introduction to the topic and then gives me the formula. So, i want to learn how the formulas are derived to understand why they are of such form.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what sort of "formulas" you're talking about, but any good book, talking about subject X, will derive all of the formulas about X. I think you just need to be looking at better books. But it would help if you gave some examples of what you mean when you say "most of the physics books I have just give an introduction to the topic, and then gives me the formula".

Anything about physics would do; from introductory to advanced. Of course, i would like to start off from basic stuff first.

Related to Any books on how physics formulas are derived?

1. How can one understand the derivation of physics formulas?

Understanding the derivation of physics formulas involves a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus and linear algebra. It also requires a deep understanding of the underlying physical principles and concepts.

2. Are there any recommended books for understanding the derivation of physics formulas?

Yes, there are several books that can help with understanding the derivation of physics formulas, such as "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas and "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths. It is also helpful to consult textbooks specific to the subject of interest, such as "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor for understanding derivations in mechanics.

3. What is the best way to approach learning about physics formula derivations?

It is best to start with a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts and mathematical tools used in physics, and then gradually work through derivations step-by-step. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and using the derived formulas to gain a deeper understanding.

4. Are there any online resources available for learning about physics formula derivations?

Yes, there are many online resources available, such as video lectures and tutorials on websites like Khan Academy and Coursera. There are also online forums and communities where you can ask for help and clarification on specific derivations.

5. How can one ensure they have fully understood a physics formula derivation?

To ensure understanding, it is important to not just memorize the formula, but to also be able to explain the reasoning and steps behind its derivation. It is helpful to practice solving problems using the derived formula and to seek feedback from peers or instructors on your understanding.