Antisymmetric Relations on {a,b}

• Thread starter Kamataat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relations
In summary, anti-symmetric relations on a set {a,b} are those that do not contain both (a,b) and (b,a) as pairs, since this would imply a=b, which is not allowed in a set. This is because the course only allows one copy of an element in a set and {a,b} is only a set if a does not equal b. Therefore, anti-symmetric relations on {a,b} are subsets of the cross-product {(a,a), (a,b), (b,a), (b,b)} and there are 12 possible anti-symmetric relations.
Kamataat
The antisymmetric relations on a set {a,b} are those, which do not contain both of the pairs (a,b) and (b,a) because that would imply a = b, however a can't equal b since they are elements of a set?

PS: In our course we allow only one copy of an element in a set, so {a,b} is a set only if a doesn't equal b.

edit: major typo

- Kamataat

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's a bit restrictive. The set {a} is the same as the set {a,a}. It's just pointless to write the latter, not wrong (multiplicity is ignored, not illegal). Your {a,b} where a=b is still a set that only contains a (or b depending on your labelling preference).
Asymmetric relations are indeed those which do not contain the pairs (a,b) and (b,a). You disprove the inclusion of elements like (a,a) by the trivial fact that if a=b, then (a,a) = (a,b) = (b,a) cannot be in the relation by definition.

Last edited:
Grrrr, there's a typo in my original post. I meant antisymmetric not asymmetric. Sorry.

edit: My lecturers textbook has this written in it: "... {a,a,b,c} and {{a,b},{b,a}} do not denote sets, because the elements of a set are distinct." I have read about multiplicity the way you write about it, but my lecturer doesn't seem to take this approach. It's a first year course for students in the maths department, so it doesn't cover advanced axiomatic set theories (but its still pretty hard, we do nothing but proofs).

- Kamataat

Last edited:
A relation is "asymmetric" if and only if it is not symmetric. That is, there exist some pair (a,b) in the relation for which (b,a) is not in the relation. There might be some other pair, say (x,y) such that (y,x) is in the relation. A relation is "anti-symmetric" if and only if whenever (a,b) is in the relation, (b,a) is not in the relation. It is impossible for another (x,y) to be in the relation with (y,x) also in the relation.

If I read this correctly, you are talking about relation on the two member set U= {a, b}. The cross-product UxU contains exactly 4 members: UxU= {(a,a), (a,b), (b,a), (b,b)}. Any relation must be a subset of that. In order to be anti-symmetric, a relation cannot contain (a,a) or (b,b) (since, in that situation, it would also contain the reverse: (a,a) or (b,b)!). It may contain (a,b) but then it can't contain (b,a). Conversely, it may contain (b,a) but then it can't contain (a,b). The only antisymmetric relations on {a,b} are
{(a,b)} and {(b,a)}.

Still having trouble with this. Here's what I know:

Anti-symmetric:
Definition 1: [tex]xRy \wedge yRx \Rightarrow x=y[/tex]
Definition 2 (equivalent to #1): [tex]x\neq y \Rightarrow \rceil(xRy) \vee \rceil(yRx)[/tex].

I have the set {a,b}. The cross-product {a,b}x{a,b}={(a,a),(a,b),(b,a),(b,b)} and a relation on {a,b} is a subset of that cross-product. The subsets (relations) are:

0 elements: [tex]\emptyset[/tex]
1 element: {(a,a)}, {(a,b)}, {(b,a)}, {(b,b)}
2 elements: {(a,a),(b,a)}, {(a,a),(a,b)}, {(a,a),(b,b)}, {(b,a),(a,b)}, {(b,a),(b,b)}, {(a,b),(b,b)}
3 elements: {(a,a),(b,a),(a,b)}, {(a,a),(b,a),(b,b)}, {(a,a),(a,b),(b,b)}, {(b,a),(a,b),(b,b)}
4 elements: {(a,a),(a,b),(b,a),(b,b)}

From the definiton of anti-symmetric above, I see that the anti-symmetric relations are those that don't contain (a,b) or (b,a) or both:

[tex]\emptyset[/tex], {(a,a)}, {(a,b)}, {(b,a)}, {(b,b)}, {(a,a),(b,a)}, {(a,a),(a,b)}, {(a,a),(b,b)}, {(b,a),(b,b)}, {(a,b),(b,b)}, {(a,a),(b,a),(b,b)}, {(a,a),(a,b),(b,b)}. Twelve in total (that's what my lecturer said also).

PS:
My understanding is that (a,b) and (b,a) can't be both in the relation, because that would imply a=b, however that is not true. The lecturer has made it clear verbally and in his book, that to him things like {a,a} and {a,b}, where a=b, are not sets at all. Hence a=b can't be true (since the problem assumes {a,b} is a set) and if a=b isn't true, then either (a,b) or (b,a) must be excluded from an anti-symmetric relation (my understanding of definition 2).

- Kamataat

Last edited:

Related to Antisymmetric Relations on {a,b}

1. What are Antisymmetric Relations?

Antisymmetric Relations are a type of binary relation in mathematics that states if two elements are related to each other, then the reverse relation does not hold true. In other words, if x is related to y, then y is not related to x.

2. How are Antisymmetric Relations represented?

Antisymmetric Relations are represented as a set of ordered pairs, where the first element is related to the second element, but the reverse is not true. For example, (a,b) is an Antisymmetric Relation, but (b,a) is not.

3. What are the properties of Antisymmetric Relations?

Antisymmetric Relations have two main properties: reflexivity and antisymmetry. Reflexivity means that every element is related to itself, while antisymmetry means that if two elements are related, then they must be the same element.

4. How do Antisymmetric Relations differ from Symmetric Relations?

The main difference between Antisymmetric and Symmetric Relations is that symmetric relations state that the reverse relation is also true, while antisymmetric relations do not. In other words, if x is related to y, then y is also related to x in symmetric relations.

5. What are some examples of Antisymmetric Relations?

Some examples of Antisymmetric Relations include "is a subset of" in set theory, "is less than or equal to" in algebra, and "is a parent of" in family relations. In each case, the reverse relation does not hold, as a set cannot be a subset of itself, a number cannot be less than or equal to itself, and a person cannot be their own parent.