Help with a VERY HARD genetics question PLEASE?

In summary, the conversation discusses the genetic inheritance of Manx cats, a breed known for having no tails. It is stated that when two Manx cats are bred together, on average one out of every two offspring will have a tail. The allele for this trait is lethal when present in homozygous condition. The conversation then poses a series of questions about the frequency of the Manx allele in different scenarios. The answer for part (a) involves calculating the frequency of the allele in the first generation of zygotes produced by a population of Manx cats. It is important to note that the founders in this scenario are all heterozygotes, not a mix of heterozygotes and homozygotes. The frequency
paradoxium
I'm a first-year college student and I'm havnig a lot of trouble with a particular question. Here goes:

Manx cats are tailess and when crossed with one another produceo n averaeg one long-tailed cat for every 2 Manx. The allele is lethal in homozygous condition due to problems arisiging in development of the lower vertebrae.

Suppose an island were populated with Manx cats.

(a) What would the ferquency of Manx allele be in first generation zygotes produced by the founders? Indciate as completely as possible your argument for this and the next question?

(b) What would the frequency of the Manx allele be in breeding age individuals of thsi generation?

(c) What process is under study in this change in allele frequencies (one sentence or phrase only)?

Biology news on Phys.org
What are your own answers so far?

For (a), my friends and I came up with:

Aa X aa --> 2 tailess (Aa) + 2 long-tailed (aa)
Manx allele = A (dominant)

Frequency = 2A/(6a + 2A) = 2/8 = 1/4 = 0.25

For (b):

The number of individuals can be calculated by:

2Aa = 2 X 0.25 (1-0.25) = 0.375

For (c):

Genetic drift??

I'm not sure if any of the our answers are right. Any help will be much appreciated. THANKS!

I'll offer some help with part (a) and see how things go from there. You're right that Manx cats are heterozygotes, and in this example appears to be a dominant trait. However, take careful note of the founders for part (a). The problem states that the island is populated with Manx cats, not a mix of Manx and cats with tails. So your founders are all heterozygotes, not a cross of heterozygotes and homozygotes. See how that affects your calculations.

1. Can you explain the question in simpler terms?

This question is asking for clarification or a simplified explanation of the genetics question that is difficult to understand.

2. What is the background information needed to solve this question?

In order to solve this genetics question, you will need to have a strong understanding of basic genetic principles and concepts, such as Mendelian genetics, Punnett squares, and inheritance patterns.

3. Is there a specific formula or method to use for solving this question?

Yes, there are several formulas and methods that can be used to solve genetics questions, such as the Hardy-Weinberg equation, Chi-squared test, and gene mapping techniques. It is important to determine which formula or method is best suited for the question at hand.

4. Can you provide any tips or strategies for approaching this type of genetics question?

Some helpful tips for solving difficult genetics questions include carefully reading and understanding the question, breaking it down into smaller parts, drawing diagrams or charts to visualize the problem, and double-checking your work for accuracy. It may also be helpful to review similar practice problems to gain a better understanding of the concepts involved.

5. Are there any online resources or tools that can assist with solving this question?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available to help with solving difficult genetics questions. These may include online tutorials, practice problems, interactive simulations, and genetic calculators. It is important to use reputable and reliable sources when seeking assistance with genetics questions.