Antipodal seismic focusing after an impact: real or not?

In summary: No, you didn't ... your comments had only to do with detection ... and didn't address the seismic focussingThat's correct, I was only commenting on the detection aspect of the subject. I wasn't addressing the seismic focusing effect at all. Thank you for clarifying that.It pays to read OP questions just a little more carefully ... It's a mistake any of us can make :wink::smile:
xpell
Reading about meteorites, I have found this idea of "antipodal earthquakes" or "antipodal vulcanism" after a major impact several times. There seems to be perfectly good papers for and against, together with the usual crankish "information." There also was a thread here about the issue almost 4 years ago.

My question is simple: is anyone aware of any more recent research for or against this antipodal seismic focusing effect, please? (I haven't been able to find anything.) And... do you think it's plausible or far-fetched, or is the jury still out there?

Thank you in advance!

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Start with this from 2011. There is a link to the primary paper, which again has papers cited.

https://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S31/90/32S94/index.xml

I do not think the topic is dead, just that developing models can be expensive, (IMO) and that grant money is going elsewhere. See also 'Theoretical Global Seismology' by Jeroen Tromp - the lead author of the citation above.

We have someone here @D H who works, I think, in planetary sciences. He will certainly have better information than I do. It is not my field, and I read for interest - which translates to: "I am far from an expert."

Likes xpell
jim mcnamara said:
Start with this from 2011. There is a link to the primary paper, which again has papers cited.

Yes, that was one of the "perfectly good papers" I was talking about. :wink:

jim mcnamara said:
I do not think the topic is dead, just that developing models can be expensive, (IMO) and that grant money is going elsewhere. See also 'Theoretical Global Seismology' by Jeroen Tromp - the lead author of the citation above.
Certainly! That's a good idea I hadn't thought of, I didn't know about this Theoretical Global Seismology. Thank you very much! :smile:

Although I'm a layman, I've spent many years researching meteorites and crater impacts in depth, and all I've read fully supports the idea of seismic waves which rebound around the planet's structure, sometimes several times after a major impact or explosion event such as a nuclear test. That's how many impacts and undeclared tests have been detected and revealed, through seismic readings from around the world. Also, it's perfectly possible to pinpoint general locations for the origin by correlating timing and strength of the waves as they are detected at multiple locations. Unfortunately you'll have to take my word for it, because I don't have any websites I can cite for you. Having said that, the Oaklahoma Geological Survey published a now famous list of known and putative nuclear tests based on seismological evidence. Some of the events listed are doubtful as to their provenance - whether nuclear or impact - but it proves that even low yield tests - sub-kiloton range - can be detected worldwide, and many major impacts have potential yield equivalents going into the megaton range or far higher. So, to answer your question simply, yes. There's ample evidence for seismic events after an impact.

You can find the full OGS test list here:
http://www.okgeosurvey1.gov/level2/nuke.cat.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes xpell
Cadar said:
So, to answer your question simply, yes. There's ample evidence for seismic events after an impact.

but that wasn't the Q
That effect is well established

the question by the OP was ...
xpell said:
My question is simple: is anyone aware of any more recent research for or against this antipodal seismic focusing effect,
Dave

Likes xpell
Cadar said:
I stand corrected, although if you read my post you'll see that I did answer the question but was unable to cite specific sources.

Do people really quibble here?

No, you didn't ... your comments had only to do with detection ... and didn't address the seismic focussing
The OP wasn't interested in detection

It's not a quibble
You plainly answered incorrectly and that doesn't help the OP
It pays to read OP questions just a little more carefully ... It's a mistake any of us can make :wink::smile:Dave

Likes xpell
xpell said:
My question is simple: is anyone aware of any more recent research for or against this antipodal seismic focusing effect
Hi xpell

sorry that cadar is off on an incorrect tangent and doesn't want to acknowledge the fact

Tho I have done lots of study in seismology, your topic is one I know little about
Yes, there is seismic focussing of the energy, but how strong that is, I'm a bit in the same boat as you without having definitive info one way or another.

That Princeton article Jim linked to is at least from a reliable source.
https://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S31/90/32S94/index.xmlDave

Likes xpell
Seems being less than 100% accurate in one's replies gets one bitched at and mail-bombed. Had I known that, I'd probably have not bothered to respond in the first place. Xpell, my apologies if there's any confusion and for the ridiculous back-and-forth on your thread.

Just out of interest, I did a quick Google, and came up with these links. One of them is from 2015, does that count as "recent"?
https://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2015AM/webprogram/Paper260891.html
http://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/69472
http://www.newgeology.us/presentation35.html
Those are only the first four hits. I had pages full of relevant links off Google. My search keywords were "seismic focussing impact event". I didn't include "antipodal", but Google found some links anyway. Gotta love the internet.

Likes xpell
The crater in Eastern Antarctica was pretty large & seemed timed to the Siberian Traps, while some feel not enough energy will open vents, local faults where the energy arrives may allow mantle lavas to escape upward in new vents, melting the fault surface as it goes this would create the broad fountains and flood versus the pipes of a volcano and take a while to appear a thought.

I wrote a patent application in 1999, which used the idea of constructive interference of seismic waves from
vibroseis trucks. The weathering layer of the ground could act like a waveguide.
Two or more trucks could identify the modulus of elasticity in the local soil.
One truck would center on the frequency of the modulus of elasticity, while the other would be just slightly
off frequency. (sorry if this is a little off, but it's from memory from 17 years ago.)
The closer to the center frequency, the further the interference pattern was away.
The phase of the other trucks to truck one determined where on the arc of truck one the interference would occur.
The frequencies were all in the 10 to 120 hz range, with the "c" being the speed of sound in that type of soil.
My company, decided it was interesting, but not up their alley, so I published it.
I did try a few rough experiments at home, but it upset the dogs...A LOT!
I should have added the purpose of the idea, was to see if sounds waves could be used to clear land mines.

Last edited:
Tangentially, a spherical charge inside a spherical space underground was shown in a British experiment to produce no seismic detection, unless very close.

George Myers said:
Tangentially, a spherical charge inside a spherical space underground was shown in a British experiment to produce no seismic detection, unless very close.

do you want to elaborate, I don't see what spherical charges have to do with seismic waves or the focussing there ofDave

It was an experiment in seismic detection, seismography used to monitor waves resulting from underground nuclear testing, and natural phenomena. Two people perished in a section of the old mine used in SW England, lack of oxygen. A very large charge was exploded the access once set blocked to maintain the shape of the excavated sphere in rock. The exception to the rules and phenomena established recording underground tests and natural phenomena on another "side" of the Earth that might be antipodal.

George Myers said:
A very large charge was exploded the access once set blocked to maintain the shape of the excavated sphere in rock.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh an explosive charge, that wasn't initially obvious from your first post

I record mining blasts on an almost daily basis, sometimes several a day, from around 6 different mine sites ranging from ~ 100 - 150 km from my location
George Myers said:
to produce no seismic detection, unless very close.

what was the definition of very close ?cheers
Dave

Not all frequencies carry well through the weathering layer,
depending on the local soil makeup.
There is also a fairly stiff attenuation, but the wave I am speaking of are good for several hundred meters.
To get something to carry 12 K miles, would involve a very limited set of frequencies,
and likely something traveling in the deep rock.

davenn said:
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh an explosive charge, that wasn't initially obvious from your first post

I record mining blasts on an almost daily basis, sometimes several a day, from around 6 different mine sites ranging from ~ 100 - 150 km from my location

what was the definition of very close ?cheers
Dave
As I recall less than a km, but it's been awhile, it was on the Internet a number of years ago.

George Myers said:
As I recall less than a km, but it's been awhile, it was on the Internet a number of years ago.

OK, so they must have been very small detonations
The open cast mining blasts I observe vary from around 1 to 10 tonnes of amfo. The larger blasts will give an equivalent
quake magnitude of around ML 2.5. Neither these, nor the much larger nuclear test blasts will result in the size of seismic
waves suitable for doing antipodal focussing research, as being discussed in this thread, as there just isn't enough seismic
energy produced. It's the M8 to M9 + events and of course large meteoritic impacts that do produce enough energy.

Dave

Related to Antipodal seismic focusing after an impact: real or not?

What is antipodal seismic focusing after an impact?

Antipodal seismic focusing after an impact refers to the phenomenon where seismic waves from an impact on one side of the Earth converge at the opposite side, causing intense seismic activity.

How does antipodal seismic focusing occur?

The exact mechanism for antipodal seismic focusing is still debated, but it is believed to be a result of the Earth's spherical shape and the refraction and reflection of seismic waves through different layers of the Earth's interior.

Is antipodal seismic focusing a real phenomenon?

There is evidence to suggest that antipodal seismic focusing does occur, such as seismic recordings from past large impacts and simulations using computer models. However, more research is needed to fully understand this phenomenon.

What are the potential effects of antipodal seismic focusing?

If antipodal seismic focusing is real, it could have significant consequences for regions opposite the impact site, including increased seismic activity and potential damage to infrastructure. It could also provide valuable insights into the Earth's interior structure.

How can we further study antipodal seismic focusing?

To better understand antipodal seismic focusing, scientists can analyze seismic data from past impacts, conduct laboratory experiments, and use computer simulations. It is also important to continue studying impact events and their potential effects on the Earth.