Antimater anhilation rate on macroscopic scales

In summary, according to the speaker, there are a few ways that a macroscopic quantity of antimatter could be detonated to create vast amounts of energy in very short time scales. One scenario is that the antimatter reacts with atmospheric air, creating radiation pressure that pushes the air away until equilibrium is reached. Another scenario is that a vacuum is created between the antimatter and the surrounding matter, but over time the antimatter and regular matter particles would interact and create an explosion. None of these scenarios are likely to happen in real life, as they require very specific conditions that are unlikely to be met.
mrspeedybob
I'm sure we've all envisioned bombs made by allowing macroscopic quantities of antimatter to react with ambient matter thereby releasing vast quantities of energy in very short time scales. I'm wondering how realistic this actually is.

Suppose I have a 1 kg chunk of anti-iron in the middle of my living room. I can imagine a scenario where the reaction with air at the surface creates enough radiation pressure to push most of the air away until an equilibrium is reached and the iron and air react at a constant rate. Similarly the reaction with my floor creates enough radiation pressure to hold the iron slightly aloft thus reducing the reaction rate. Considering the vast amounts of energy that would be contained in kg of antimatter (and the corresponding kg of matter), I'm wondering if this scenario could just make my living room very hot for a long time rather then instantly blowing up.

For that matter could something similar happen on atomic scales. For example an atom of anti-iron meets an atom of nitrogen, 1 proton and 1 antiproton annihilate, and the resulting carbon and anti-manganese are pushed away from each other?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i don't think that the air could reach equilibrium because there would be new air coming into do the job.If not for a very strong magnetic field or maybe electric one there is I think no other way of separating the antimatter particles from ordinary matter ones.
Another option would probably be to have a vast vacuum between your iron antimatter chunk and your room , but in order for this to work your room I guess would have to be the size of the universe :D
And I think this is not true as field penetrate vacuum so with time you would get the interaction.

The reaction just with the air would annihilate the entire house and most of the block. Consider that 1 gram of antimatter annihilating with 1 gram of normal matter produces about 43 kilotons worth of energy. If even 1/1,000th of a gram is annihilated the explosion would be equivalent to 43 tons of TNT and would vaporize the antimatter iron and allow it to react even faster with the air and the surrounding matter, quickly leading to an absolutely massive detonation equal to about 43 megatons, which is almost as big as the largest nuclear detonation ever achieved on this planet, Tsar Bomba.

Related to Antimater anhilation rate on macroscopic scales

1. What is antimatter annihilation?

Antimatter annihilation is a process in which a particle of antimatter (such as an antiproton or positron) collides with its corresponding particle of matter (such as a proton or electron) and both particles are converted into pure energy in the form of gamma rays.

2. How does the rate of antimatter annihilation on a macroscopic scale differ from that on a microscopic scale?

On a macroscopic scale, the rate of antimatter annihilation is significantly lower compared to that on a microscopic scale. This is because on a macroscopic scale, there are more particles present and they are more spread out, resulting in a lower probability of collisions between antimatter and matter particles.

3. What factors affect the rate of antimatter annihilation on a macroscopic scale?

The rate of antimatter annihilation on a macroscopic scale is affected by the density of matter and antimatter particles in a given space, the temperature of the particles, and any external forces or fields that may influence their movement and interaction.

4. Can antimatter annihilation be controlled or manipulated on a macroscopic scale?

Currently, there is no known way to control or manipulate antimatter annihilation on a macroscopic scale. However, scientists are actively researching and experimenting with ways to harness and utilize antimatter for various applications, such as propulsion systems for spacecraft.

5. What are the potential consequences of a large-scale antimatter annihilation event?

In theory, a large-scale antimatter annihilation event could release a significant amount of energy, potentially causing destruction and damage to surrounding matter. However, the likelihood of such an event occurring naturally is extremely low, and any practical applications of antimatter would involve controlled and contained reactions to minimize any potential consequences.