Can Watercooling Solve My Noisy Computer Problem?

In summary, the goal is to watercool a computer to reduce noise levels. The plan is to use a pump and tubing to pipe water over two processors to a radiator with a rating of 790kcal/hour. The concern is the noise level of the fan needed for sufficient airflow, and the suggestion is to run it at a lower voltage to reduce noise. It is also mentioned that the radiator may be able to handle a lower airflow due to its high dissipation rating.
jonnylane
Summer project: Watercooling a computer so it is a quiet as possible.

I have a computer case where the ambient air temperature is around 37’C and the room temperature is around 20’C.
I will be cooling two processors rated at 54.6W by piping water over them serially to a radiator which can dissipate upto 790kcal/hour providing there is an airflow of 100 cubic feet per minute.

This is quite easy to achieve, but that level of airflow creates about 60dB.

The plan is to use an ‘over-rated’ system and then have a fan powered at a lower voltage which should be quieter. It is straightforward to run the fan at 7v instead of 12v.

I have browsed around I have a pump which runs at 1200l/h. I will be using tubing with a diameter of 1/2inch.

My question is:
  • Is one radiator going to be enough to keep the processors below 45’C?
  • If a 12v fan makes 60dB moving 100cfm of air, what will happen when I run it at 7 or even 5v?

I appreciate it’s a little vague, just ask if you need more information :)

Physics news on Phys.org
If a 12v fan makes 60dB moving 100cfm of air, what will happen when I run it at 7 or even 5v?

well, it will make less noise, but it will also move less air. IMO.

I will be cooling two processors rated at 54.6W by piping water over them serially to a radiator which can dissipate upto 790kcal/hour providing there is an airflow of 100 cubic feet per minute.
so, I did some calculations and 790kcal/hour = (790000*4.19J)/(3600s) = 919W
you should check this anyway...
If the radiator can dissipate 900W and your processors give 54.6 W I guess you can lower the airflow a bit, by runnig the fan at 7V.

"Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature."

Whence: "If you can't fix it, feature it!"

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
"Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature."

Whence: "If you can't fix it, feature it!"

yep, but after you feature it you have to offer suport for that... :wink:

What is computer cooling?

Computer cooling is the process of removing excess heat from a computer's internal components to prevent damage and ensure optimal performance. This is typically done through the use of fans, heatsinks, and liquid cooling systems.

Why is computer cooling important?

Proper computer cooling is important because excess heat can cause damage to components, leading to malfunctions and potentially shortening the lifespan of the computer. It also helps to maintain optimal performance by preventing overheating and potential throttling of the system.

What are some common signs of a cooling problem?

Some common signs of a cooling problem include loud or unusually active fans, frequent crashes or freezes, and high temperatures reported by monitoring software. Additionally, if the computer feels hot to the touch, this may also indicate a cooling issue.

How can I fix a cooling problem?

There are several steps you can take to fix a cooling problem, such as cleaning out dust and debris from the computer's internal components, ensuring proper airflow and ventilation in the computer case, and potentially upgrading to more efficient cooling solutions such as liquid cooling. It's also important to regularly monitor and maintain the cooling system to prevent future issues.

Are there any risks associated with computer cooling?

While there are some minor risks associated with certain types of cooling solutions, such as the potential for liquid cooling leaks, the benefits of proper computer cooling far outweigh any potential risks. As long as proper precautions are taken and the cooling system is properly maintained, the risks are minimal.