Passive band pass filter

In summary, the conversation is about finding the components for a passive bandpass filter with a cutoff frequency of 7 kHz and a bandwidth of 320 Hz. The person asking for help is struggling to find the equation to solve this problem and is not familiar with the topology of the filter. The expert suggests looking into the series combination of the components and the person ultimately decides to seek further help from their lecturer.
blair321
hi there

ive been attemping this question and i cannot find the equation to work it out anywhere !

any help would be great !

for a passive band pass filter

from the following list choose the three components which would produce a cut off frequency closest to 7 khz and a band width of 320 hz

resistor
100 ohm
680 ohm
120 k ohm

capacitor
0.1 nf
10 nf
10 uf

inductor
200 mh
3 mh
50 mh

many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't crosspost.

Show us what you've done to get started.

- Warren

my problem is that i cannot find the equation this i what i was asking for
i cannot get started if i cannot find the equation

Where did you get this problem, then? There is no "formula" for a bandpass filter.

- Warren

apologies
i am looking for the resonant frequency and the band witdh

Uh, I gathered that. There still is no "formula" for a bandpass filter. What is the filter topology? I assume there is one R, one L, and one C -- what is the topology?

- Warren

exscuse my ignorance
topology?

How are the components connected together?

- Warren

in series
there is one L, one R and one C

to be honest this is all a little over my head
many thanks for your help, but i think its best if i go back to my lecturer tomorrow and ask if he can explain it

thanks again

blair

1. What is a passive band pass filter?

A passive band pass filter is an electronic circuit that allows a specific range of frequencies to pass through while attenuating all other frequencies. It is made up of passive components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, and does not require a power source to operate.

2. How does a passive band pass filter work?

A passive band pass filter works by using a combination of resistors, capacitors, and inductors in a specific configuration to create a frequency-dependent output. The components are selected to allow a specific range of frequencies to pass through, while blocking or attenuating all other frequencies.

3. What are the advantages of using a passive band pass filter?

Passive band pass filters have several advantages, including low cost, simple design, and ease of implementation. They also do not require a power source, making them ideal for use in low power applications. Additionally, they can be easily modified or adjusted to suit specific frequency ranges.

4. What are the applications of a passive band pass filter?

Passive band pass filters are commonly used in audio and radio frequency (RF) applications to separate and amplify specific frequencies. They are also used in signal processing, telecommunications, and electronic instrumentation.

5. How do I choose the right passive band pass filter for my application?

The selection of a passive band pass filter depends on the frequency range, gain, and attenuation requirements of your specific application. It is important to consider the frequency response, insertion loss, and impedance characteristics of the filter. Consulting with a knowledgeable engineer or using online design tools can help in selecting the right filter for your needs.