ANSYS Modal: What does the deflection result represent?

In summary, the mode shapes are important, but the amplitude you get from a free vibration model is arbitrary.
Saladsamurai
I was told in a meeting, in passing, not to pay any attention to the deflection results that come out of a free vibration problem. Can someone clarify why or point me to a good resource where I can inform myself?

Thanks,
KC

Engineering news on Phys.org
You should certainly pay attention to the shape of the deflections (i.e. the "mode shape"), but the amplitude you get from a free vibration model is arbitrary.

In real life, the amplitude depends on the forces applied to the structure, but a vibration analysis ignores the forces and just tells you what modes of vibration could occur, and at what frequencies, not what modes will occur.

The shapes are important, because if you apply the same level of force to the structure, it will create bigger vibration amplitude when it is applied at the positions which move most. (The basic reason is that the force transfers energy into the vibrating object be doing work, and work = force x distance, so more distance means more work).

Thanks for that AlephZero. That's kind of what I was thinking. It's the relative deflections that give you insight. I am guessing that it only makes sense to look at relative deflections within a given mode shape? For example, would it be meaningful to compare the deflection of the endpoint of a cantilevered beam at mode 1 to the deflection at any other mode?

I guess if I had a better idea of how ANSYS is actually making the calculations, I could answer that on my own.

The simple-minded answer is, you can only compare the relative deflections at different points in the same mode shape. You can't compare the size of the deflections at the same point in two different modes - unless the deflection is zero at that point in one of the modes.

The less-simple-minded answer is, it depends how the different mode shapes are "normalized" when they are output. There are two "common sense" methods that are sometimes used:

1. Make the biggest deflection in each mode = 1.0 (wherever it occurs, usually at a different place in each mode)
2. Make the deflection at a place that you specify in the input = 1.0, for all the modes. (The deflection at other places in the structure maybe bigger than 1, of course).

But more likely, the mode shapes will be "mass normalized", which means the product ##x^TMx = 1## where ##x## is the mode shape vector and ##M## is the mass matrix of the structure. That means the internal energy (potential + kinetic) in different modes is proportional to the frequency squared, for the values of the displacements that are output.

The reason for this choice is because it is very convenient for using the mode shapes as generalized coordinates (in the sense of Lagrangian mechanics) for dynamic analysis both in the time domain (transient dynamics analysis) and the frequency domain (steady state response analysis). Most course notes / web sites / textbooks on dynamics of multi degree of freedom (MDOF) systems will have some of the math behind this, for "simple" systems modeled by point masses connected by springs. The basic ideas are exactly the same for finite element models - the only difference is that the finite element mass and stiffness are formulated in a more general way.

Last edited:
Likes 2 people

Related to ANSYS Modal: What does the deflection result represent?

1. What is the significance of the deflection result in ANSYS Modal analysis?

The deflection result in ANSYS Modal analysis represents the structural displacement of a system under the influence of a dynamic load. It is an important factor in understanding the structural behavior and stability of a system.

2. How is the deflection result calculated in ANSYS Modal analysis?

The deflection result in ANSYS Modal analysis is calculated by solving the dynamic equilibrium equations of the system using the finite element method. This method takes into account the material properties, geometry, and boundary conditions of the system to determine the displacement at each node.

3. Can the deflection result in ANSYS Modal analysis be used to predict the behavior of a structure under different loading conditions?

Yes, the deflection result in ANSYS Modal analysis can be used to predict the behavior of a structure under different loading conditions. By analyzing the deflection results at different frequencies, engineers can gain insights into the dynamic response of the system and make design decisions accordingly.

4. How does the deflection result in ANSYS Modal analysis differ from that in static analysis?

The deflection result in ANSYS Modal analysis differs from that in static analysis in that it takes into account the dynamic behavior of the structure, whereas static analysis only considers the static loading conditions. This means that the deflection result in ANSYS Modal analysis may show different patterns and magnitudes compared to that in static analysis.

5. How can the deflection result in ANSYS Modal analysis be used to improve the design of a structure?

The deflection result in ANSYS Modal analysis can be used to identify areas of high displacement and stress, which can help engineers make design improvements to enhance the structural stability and performance. It can also be used to optimize the design by adjusting material properties, geometry, and boundary conditions to reduce deflection and improve overall structural behavior.