Ansys Maxwell problem -- band around coil is a difficult geometry?

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on how to properly place a motion band in a solenoid that is housed with two shafts sticking out. They have tried various methods but are still receiving warning messages. They are looking for guidance on how to properly place the motion band.
Eske
Hey Guys,

through the past years you helped me a lot. But now i have to ask my first question.
I am simulating a solenoid, a very easy one, with a core and a coil. And a translational band (2mm). The only problem is, that i cannot put the band correctly because my solenoid is in a housing, the 2 shafts goes out of the model. and of course i considered that the obejcts are not touching each other. I have warning messages in intersecting objects. i upload the pictures (cylinder 41 is the motion band).

I also tried to make one motion band and extend it with new ones, but then i get more 'intersecting' warning messages and other like i touch the stationary shell and that the geometrie ist not valid...
I hope you can give me an advice how to put a motion band (transl.) in that housing.
Have a nice weekend.

Greeting from Germany
Eske

Attachments

• physicf.png
    physicf.png
    50 KB · Views: 828
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you clarify where the two coils are? I'm assuming one is purple and the other is brown? And what is the longer rod-shaped thing going up the middle -- is that your "core"? Thanks

Related to Ansys Maxwell problem -- band around coil is a difficult geometry?

1. What makes the band around coil geometry difficult to model in Ansys Maxwell?

The band around coil geometry is difficult to model in Ansys Maxwell because it involves complex 3D shapes, varying dimensions, and non-uniform materials. This can lead to difficulties in accurately defining the geometry and assigning appropriate material properties, resulting in inaccurate simulation results.

2. What are the potential challenges in setting up a band around coil simulation in Ansys Maxwell?

Some potential challenges in setting up a band around coil simulation in Ansys Maxwell include creating a suitable mesh for the complex geometry, accurately defining the boundary conditions, and selecting the appropriate solver settings. Additionally, the presence of multiple materials and interfaces can also complicate the simulation setup process.

3. How can I ensure reliable results when simulating a band around coil in Ansys Maxwell?

To ensure reliable results when simulating a band around coil in Ansys Maxwell, it is important to carefully define the geometry and assign appropriate material properties. It is also important to thoroughly validate the simulation results by comparing them to experimental data or analytical solutions, if available.

4. Are there any specific techniques or tools that can help with modeling a band around coil in Ansys Maxwell?

Yes, there are several techniques and tools that can aid in modeling a band around coil in Ansys Maxwell. These include using symmetry or simplifying the geometry to reduce computational time, utilizing scripting or parameterization to automate the simulation setup process, and using advanced meshing techniques such as adaptive or swept meshing.

5. What are some best practices for simulating a band around coil in Ansys Maxwell?

Some best practices for simulating a band around coil in Ansys Maxwell include carefully defining the geometry and assigning appropriate material properties, verifying the simulation setup and results through validation, and utilizing advanced features such as scripting and meshing techniques to improve the efficiency and accuracy of the simulation.