How a Motor or Generator works?

In summary: Originally posted by Moni AC is alternating current, dc is direct current (constant). KVA is used because KW doesn't take into account phase for ac. Not sure about eddy currents.Maybe you should use google. It sounds like you have a lot of basic questions and you can find some quick answers there.
Moni
How a Motor or Generetor works ?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Originally posted by Moni

I'm assuming you mean an electric generator as opposed to a generator ran by fuel?

In this case I searched google and found this site:
How a generator works.

Also, if this is not what you wanted a google search (with quotes " ") will do wonders for you, the sites usually provide for pictures, which don't seem to work well on PF.

Since harnessing and creating electricity work the same way, apply electricity to a motor and it spins. Spin a motor and it becomes a generator.

Its just rotating electromagnets.

But what is the basic difference between AC and DC machines?

What is eddy current loss?

why tranformer rating is not KW why it is KVA?

But what is the basic difference between AC and DC machines?

What is eddy current loss?

why tranformer rating is not KW why it is KVA?
ac is alternating current, dc is direct current (constant). KVA is used because KW doesn't take into account phase for ac.

Not sure about eddy currents.

Maybe you should use google. It sounds like you have a lot of basic questions and you can find some quick answers there.

Yea...DC has a constant voltage(like when u connect a circuit to a battery...its always going to be , say, 12 Volts...(well not really since the battery has internal resistance, and i think the voltage goes down as the battery gets older...maybe not...))..
But in AC the voltage varies sinusoidaly...For example, most american outlets are 120 V and 60 hz..this means that the voltage goes between 120 and -120 60 times in a second...(correct me if I am wrong, please..i might be mistaken on some details_)

Hertz is a unit of frequency - a full
cycle is when you return to your original
position - back AND forth.

1. How does a motor or generator produce electricity?

A motor or generator works by converting mechanical energy into electrical energy. This is done through the use of a magnetic field, which is created by the interaction of the motor's or generator's moving parts and an external source of electricity.

2. What are the main components of a motor or generator?

The main components of a motor or generator include a stator (stationary part), a rotor (rotating part), and a commutator or slip rings. The stator contains the coils of wire and the rotor has the magnets or electromagnets that create the magnetic field. The commutator or slip rings are used to transfer electricity to and from the rotating part of the motor or generator.

3. How does a motor or generator change the direction of the current?

In a motor, the direction of the current is changed by the commutator, which uses brushes to switch the direction of the current as the motor rotates. In a generator, the direction of the current is changed by the movement of the rotor in relation to the stationary stator.

4. What is the difference between a DC motor and an AC motor?

A DC motor runs on direct current, meaning the current flows in one direction, while an AC motor runs on alternating current, meaning the current direction alternates. AC motors are typically used for larger applications, while DC motors are commonly used in smaller devices.

5. What are some common uses of motors and generators?

Motors and generators have a wide range of uses, including powering vehicles, appliances, and industrial machinery. They are also used in renewable energy sources, such as wind turbines and hydroelectric power plants. In addition, generators are commonly used as backup power sources in the event of a power outage.