What silly songs do you secretly love?

• Thread starter eNtRopY
  • Start date
Jane Fonda...and the villian in it was Duran Duran. Thats where they got their name. In summary, a group of friends discuss songs they enjoy listening to but are too embarrassed to admit. They share stories about singing along to cheesy songs, liking children's music, and listening to music they wouldn't normally enjoy because of their parents. They also confess to liking songs by artists like Haddaway, Neil Diamond, and Sarah McLachlan, and even admit to enjoying songs by Weird Al and Duran Duran.
eNtRopY
Okay, we're all friends here right?

Let's just lay it on the table...

What songs do you enjoy hearing but would be way too embarrassed to ever admit to liking?

You know what songs I'm talking about. The ones that come on the radio as the cheesy song of the hour when you're driving your car but conviently you don't switch the station!

I'll go first... What is Love? by Haddaway. There, I said it! Are you happy? Quit laughing.

Okay, now it's your turn.

eNtRopY

Physics news on Phys.org
Anything by Neil Diamond!

Okay this is super embarassing but its kinda funny. Most my friends and i are into punk rock and music like that (good charlotte blink 182 etc..) and so one day my friend and i are driving home from school listening to the radio and one of those pop/country/girl songs comes on. i can't think right now what its called but it was kind of like "so something something so something something so something something, so sure the sky is blue, baby i love you" We both kinda froze up for a second and were like "uhmmm," so in the end we both start singing to the song as he turns up the volume. it was hillarious (seriously it was exactly like that scene in tommy boy if you know what I'm talking about). For some reason I'm a sucker for a few of the upbeat pop/country songs by girl singers, and its incredibly embarasing, until you find out that most the other people are too becuase they keep playing them on our punk radio station.

Originally posted by eNtRopY
I'll go first... What is Love? by Haddaway. There, I said it! Are you happy? Quit laughing.

haha, did you ever see that movie "Night at the Roxbury" That movie came out when one of my friends brother was marrying our other friends sister (who happened to live next door) Anyway after the wedding at the reception my friend whose sister just got married comes out with a ghetto blaster and yells "no brother don't go" and starts blasting that song while nodding his head to the side. Me and my other friend couldn't stop laughing while no one else got the joke and just kind of looked at us like "what the heck is wrong with them."

I will be brave and tell of my wonderous love for the song, "Elmo's World"! I hope no one who knows me sees this...
One day, I watched Seasame Street, and the next thing I know, Elmo's World comes on! The theme song has been stuck in my head ever since: (I haven't memorized it all...)
"That's Elmo's World!
Elmos loves his gold fish, his crayon too!
That's Elmos World!"

Okay, you guys can tease me. I don't mind.
:wink:
"THAT'S ELMO'S WORLD!"

well the most embarking experience i ever had of that sort was when i was turning a corner and i was haveing a good time mimicking Axle Rose while singing along to "Nocking on Heaven's Door" and i looked over and made eye contact with this really pretty jogger and she was grinning from ear to ear, i felt so busted. generally i tend to listen to oldies radio sometimes and every once and a while i will catch myself groovin' to the Beach Boys, they are cheesy as can be but some of their stuff is just really catchy.

:) All those cheesy 80's songs of my childhood, like "What is Love." Yknow... You Spin Me Round (Like a Record), 99 Red Balloons, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Walk Like an Egyptian. At times I've even been known to listen to a Sarah McLachlan song or two, but I would never, ever admit that to anyone in real life.

I have a few kiddie metal cds - sum41, alien ant farm and the like.

Very embarassing.

<looks both ways and whispers "Metallica">

Originally posted by plus
I have a few kiddie metal cds - sum41, alien ant farm and the like.

Very embarassing.

alien ant farm?? lol, what's that about?

Hey, Alien Ant Farm is a good band!

Anyway, I hate admiting this, but in the spirit of fun, I love "Remember Me This Way" by Jordan Hill. I'm often seen as the Disturbed, Creed, etc type, but I just happen to like that song. Oh yeah, and "Hero" by Mariah Carey (where the heck's the "embarrased" smilie?).

Its hard to admit, but i like a of Weird Al's songs. And I can't wait for his next album, Poodle hat, to come out

Okay, you guys! I have the most embarassing confession so far! (For some reason I'm actually proud!)

crappy adult top 40 from the early 90's.

it's just because my mother listened to it all the time in the car and so i know all these songs that i would otherwise not be caught dead listening to.

any one remember "House of Stone and Glass" or something like that?

Originally posted by Psyber freek
Its hard to admit, but i like a of Weird Al's songs. And I can't wait for his next album, Poodle hat, to come out

Hey, I like Weird Al too. Some of it's really stupid, but some of it's pretty good (funny too).

Originally posted by spacemanspiff
crappy adult top 40 from the early 90's.

it's just because my mother listened to it all the time in the car and so i know all these songs that i would otherwise not be caught dead listening to.

any one remember "House of Stone and Glass" or something like that?

You mean "House of Stone and Light"? I don't like it, but my brother does. In fact, my brother likes pretty much every song that I think of as lame. I wonder if he does it just to tick me off...

I like Duran Duran. Is that bad or not? I watched the 60s movie Barbarella with Jane Fonda in which the evildoer is Duran Duran, from which the band got its name. Barbarella is great.

mmm, i just got back from the australian national folk festival where i spent 4 days indulging in my little guilty pleasure... BLUEGRASS! oh i dunno, banjos just send shivers down my spine, the good kind of shiver that is :wink:
i think my friends have given up on me and my sick little obsession but i just don't care! yeehaw!

Probably my most guilty pleasure is "When Doves Cry," by Prince. Next to this would be a recent song by Gwen Stefani and No Doubt (I can't think of the name, but the rythym is haunting and infectuous; actually that's what I like about Prince's song too).

Originally posted by Artman
Probably my most guilty pleasure is "When Doves Cry," by Prince. Next to this would be a recent song by Gwen Stefani and No Doubt (I can't think of the name, but the rythym is haunting and infectuous; actually that's what I like about Prince's song too).

Do you mean "Underneath It All", by No Doubt?

Do you mean "Underneath It All", by No Doubt?

No, the one that had some air play before that. I did a quick Google search and found it, it's called, "Hella Good."

The Rythym is so sexy that I felt guilty and turned it down one time when it was on my car radio and I was driving past a Catholic School! (I didn't want the nuns to get me.)

Originally posted by Artman
No, the one that had some air play before that. I did a quick Google search and found it, it's called, "Hella Good."

The Rythym is so sexy that I felt guilty and turned it down one time when it was on my car radio and I was driving past a Catholic School! (I didn't want the nuns to get me.)

Oh, yeah I knew a lot of people who liked that song. I didn't much care for it, but to each his/her own.

The Humpty Dance! Actually, I am not embarrased to admit that I LOVE that song! AND that I know all the words...
So if anyone tries to give you crap over lovin' any of these songs, just tell 'em, "Step off, I'm doing the Hump!"

Neil Diamond

Nothing to be ashamed of! :smile:

Well here is my addition... Michael Bolton... yeah yeah well I grew up on it! Deal with it!

Last edited:
"I want to rock and roll all night, and party eh-ver-ee day!"

Come on folks, it's supposed to be embarassing!

Your going to love this one;

Up From The Grave He Arose

Lyrics and music here;
http://ehymnal.com/upfrom.shtml

I just love listening to bagpipe, stuff like amazing grace, stuff that usually gives people headaches.

Originally posted by Sting

That's nothing to be ashamed of. Metallica is classic.

Hell, someday 7th grade choirs will be singing watered-down, elevator-esque versions of "Master of Puppets" at their school assemblies.

eNtRopY

Originally posted by Sting

That's nothing to be ashamed of. Metallica is classic.

I agree. Their use of modal keys gives their music a myterious feel and someone in that group knows how to write a decent melody line. I think they are good musicians.

Originally posted by Boulderhead...

Your going to love this one;
Up From The Grave He Arose

I'm trying to picture this one... Boulderhead sitting at his keyboard, writing a scathing rebutal to a Christian comment in the religious forum, while singing along with a download mp3 of "Up From the Grave He Arose." Now that has got to be a guilty pleasure!

Greg, I just can't accept that you like Michael Bolton. Have you tried therapy?

<imagines Sting driving his pickup out to the country, getting smashed, and blasting Metallica while shooting guns into the air>

Seriously, that's what my friends from down South said people did for fun in high school. :wink:

Can someone please tell me if Barry Manilow is only for the terminally unhip, or is some of his stuff ok?

Interesting topic.

Why has everyone been restricting themselves to music alone ?

Well, there's this absolutely corny and sugary sweet Hindi movie called "Hum Appke Hai Koun" (Indians here might have heard of it) . Its one of those things in which everyone is sweet and helpful and perfect, no one spiteful or nasty ... all the right people fall in love with the right people etc. Except for one death - an accident - nothing unpleasant happens in the movie at all ! Its a totally unrealistic movie.
But I like to watch it. Everytime they play in on Cable TV, I end up watching it. And enjoy it. I don't know what eactly I enjoy about it though ... but it leaves me with this warm fuzzy feeling (religious people will know what I'm talking about :wink:).

- S.

Originally posted by Boulderhead...
Can someone please tell me if Barry Manilow is only for the terminally unhip, or is some of his stuff ok?

I like some of his earlier stuff, before he became a La Vegas lounge lizard.

The amazing thing about Barry Manilow is that his songs (with very few exceptions) have no beat. Try and tap your foot to any of his ballads; you can't do it!