Answer: Pressure Differentials in Double Glazing Units

• Thread starter sainty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary: Install in a well vented area.In summary, Double Glazing Units fail when the pressure differential between the inside and outside of the unit exceeds a certain threshold.
sainty
Pressure differentials in Double Glazing Units

Hi

I hope I'm in the right place. I'm also hoping that this problem will appeal to someone! I'm a joiner and I make windows. I am in a discussion on a woodworking forum about the physics of a double glazed unit and it's starting to go above my basic understanding!

The crux of the discussion is that DG units fail when condensation appears on the inside of the unit. A DG unit is made up from 2 pieces of glass separated by a spacer, to create the gap which contains a desiccant. A sealant is then applied around the unit to make it "air tight". We believe that temperature fluctuations cause pressure in the units that make the sealant "fail" and leak (tiny holes?), this then exchanges the dry air in the unit to be replaced by new moist air. This exchange continues until the desiccant becomes saturated. At this point the failure occurs and condensation appears.

Firstly, does this sound feasible? Given a 20 degree C temperature differential, what sort of pressures are exerted on the unit and what volume of air is required to equalise the pressure in the unit. Lastly, what could be done to prevent the premature failure of DG units?

Thanks in advance for any help received.

Rgds

Stuart.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You aren't the first person to build windows that fail due to temperature swings and changing pressure (including wind). One of the most famous is Cobb's John Hancock building in Boston, which was literally a disaster when the specially glazed windows started popping off their mounts and crashing onto the sidewalks 30 stories below. That may not be your problem, but in my opinion you should buy premade DG units from a reputable supplier and install them into your frames. Your customers deserve that much.

FYI: They aren't filled with a desiccant, they are filled with an inert gas, typically Argon.

20C temperature increase on a sealed gas increases pressure by 1 psi. That's 144 pounds force per square foot.
The interior is sealed air tight; some (not all) will use a high molecular weight gas (argon,krypton) fill to increase insulation.
The dessicant is used to remove moisture sealed in during manufacture. The tiniest defect allows moisture laden air to saturate it. (driving force is mostly diffusion though, not pressure)
Download the brochure from the well known manufacturer of wood framed windows and you will see they use an interior bead of rigid vinyl to insure seal integrity.(The design and manufacture of which is not trivial.)
To ensure long life:
Buy a window with a twenty year warranty.
Avoid excess room humidity.

Hello Stuart,

I can provide some insight into the pressure differentials in double glazing units. It is true that temperature fluctuations can cause pressure changes in the unit, which can lead to the failure of the sealant and the appearance of condensation.

The pressure exerted on the unit depends on the temperature differential and the volume of air inside the unit. The ideal gas law, PV = nRT, can be used to calculate the pressure if we know the volume, temperature, and number of moles of air inside the unit. However, it is difficult to determine the exact volume and number of moles of air in a double glazing unit, as it can vary depending on the size and construction of the unit.

To prevent premature failure of double glazing units, it is important to ensure that the sealant used is of high quality and properly applied to create an airtight seal. Additionally, using materials with lower thermal conductivity for the spacer and desiccant can help reduce temperature differentials and minimize pressure changes within the unit.

I hope this information helps in your discussion on the woodworking forum. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best,

Related to Answer: Pressure Differentials in Double Glazing Units

1. What are pressure differentials in double glazing units?

Pressure differentials refer to the difference in air pressure between the inside and outside of a double glazing unit. This difference in pressure can affect the performance and longevity of the unit.

2. Why are pressure differentials important in double glazing units?

Pressure differentials can impact the energy efficiency and durability of double glazing units. If the pressure differential is too high, it can cause the unit to crack or break, reducing its effectiveness in insulating against heat loss or gain.

3. How do pressure differentials occur in double glazing units?

Pressure differentials can occur due to changes in temperature or humidity. As the temperature outside changes, the air inside the unit expands or contracts, creating a difference in pressure. Additionally, differences in humidity levels can also contribute to pressure differentials.

4. What are the effects of high pressure differentials on double glazing units?

High pressure differentials can cause stress on the seals and frames of double glazing units, leading to cracks or breaks. This can result in decreased energy efficiency and potential water leakage. In extreme cases, it can even cause the unit to shatter.

5. How can pressure differentials be minimized in double glazing units?

To minimize pressure differentials, it is important to ensure that the unit is properly sealed and installed. Adequate ventilation can also help to equalize the pressure inside and outside of the unit. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help to identify and address any potential issues with pressure differentials before they become a problem.