Answer Calculation of Sound Intensity and Power Output

In summary, the sound intensity 2.5m away from a 50W speaker is 0.64 W/m^2 and the acoustic power output of the speaker is 18.2 Watts. This is within the expected range for a speaker producing 100 dB at 12 m.
Noir

Homework Statement

What is the sound intensity 2.5m away from a 50W speaker? (Assume sound is spread out in a sphere) The intensity level 12.0m from a loudspeaker, placed out in the open, is 100 dB, what is the acoustic power output (in Watts) of the speaker?

Homework Equations

[tex]I =10^{\frac{B}{10} - 12}[/tex]

[tex]v =\frac{P}{A}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I = P / A
I = 50 / (4 * pi * 2.5 ^ 2)
I = 0.64 W / m ^ 2

If the inensity level is 100 dB, then the Sound intensity is 10 ^ -2 W / m ^ 2.
So, If I = P / A
I x A = P
P = 10 ^ -2 x (4 * pi * 144)
P = 18.2 Watts

Is this correct? The 18.2 Watts looks a little for a speaker putting out 100 dB at 12 m...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good.

Note that the 50W speaker produces between 110 and 120 dB at 2.5 m, so 100 dB for 18 W is not out of line.

Yes, your calculations are correct. It is important to note that the sound intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance, so as the distance increases, the sound intensity decreases significantly. This is why the power output seems relatively low even for a loudspeaker producing 100 dB at 12 m away.

Related to Answer Calculation of Sound Intensity and Power Output

1. How is sound intensity calculated?

Sound intensity is calculated by taking the square of the sound pressure and dividing it by the reference sound pressure of 20 micropascals.

2. What is the unit of measurement for sound intensity?

The unit of measurement for sound intensity is watts per square meter (W/m^2).

3. How does sound power output affect sound intensity?

Sound power output, also known as sound energy, is directly proportional to sound intensity. This means that as the power output increases, the intensity of the sound also increases.

4. How is sound intensity related to decibels (dB)?

Sound intensity is measured in decibels (dB), which is a logarithmic scale. This means that a 10 dB increase in sound intensity is equivalent to a 10-fold increase in sound power.

5. What factors can affect the calculation of sound intensity and power output?

The calculation of sound intensity and power output can be affected by the distance from the sound source, the frequency of the sound, and the acoustic properties of the medium through which the sound travels (e.g. air, water, etc.). Additionally, any obstructions or reflections in the environment can also impact the calculation.