Answer: Calculate Electric Field Strength at 1mm for a Stationary Electron

• MHB
  • Thread starter Alexis Deleon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitance
In summary, the energy density of a stationary electron, at a radial distance of r=1mm, is given by U=(1/2)(epsilon naught)(E^2), where E=kq/r^2 and q is the negative elementary charge of an electron. The value of q is -1.602 * 10^-19 C.
Alexis Deleon
Question: A stationary electron is a point of charge. What is the energy density of U, it's electric field at a radial distance r=1mm?

Know:
1mm=1*10^-3m
u=(1/2)(epsilon naught)(E^2)
E=kq/r^2

I know I have to end up solving for (E)^2, where E=kq/r^2, but how do I determine what charge to use for q?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Alexis Deleon said:
Question: A stationary electron is a point of charge. What is the energy density of U, it's electric field at a radial distance r=1mm?

Know:
1mm=1*10^-3m
u=(1/2)(epsilon naught)(E^2)
E=kq/r^2

I know I have to end up solving for (E)^2, where E=kq/r^2, but how do I determine what charge to use for q?

Welcome to MHB Alexis Deleon! :)

The charge q is the negative elementary charge, usually denoted with the symbol $\text{e}$, which is also the first letter of the word electron:
$$q = -1 \text{ e} = -1.602 \cdot 10^{-19} C$$

Note also that:
$$k = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}$$

So:
$$U=\frac 1 2 \epsilon_0 E^2
= \frac 1 2 \epsilon_0 \left( \frac {kq}{r^2}\right)^2
= \frac 1 2 \epsilon_0 \left( \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \frac {-1\text{ e}}{r^2}\right)^2$$

Related to Answer: Calculate Electric Field Strength at 1mm for a Stationary Electron

1. What is the formula for calculating electric field strength at 1mm for a stationary electron?

The formula for calculating electric field strength at 1mm for a stationary electron is E = kq/r^2, where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge of the electron, and r is the distance between the electron and the point where the electric field is being measured.

2. How is the electric field strength affected by the distance from the electron?

The electric field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the electron. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field strength decreases.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric field strength?

The unit of measurement for electric field strength is newtons per coulomb (N/C).

4. How does the charge of the electron affect the electric field strength at 1mm?

The charge of the electron has a direct effect on the electric field strength at 1mm. As the charge increases, the electric field strength also increases. This means that a larger charge will result in a stronger electric field at the same distance.

5. Can the electric field strength at 1mm for a stationary electron be negative?

Yes, the electric field strength at 1mm for a stationary electron can be negative. This indicates that the electric field is directed in the opposite direction of the electron's charge. A negative electric field strength can also be interpreted as a positive charge being attracted to the electron.