Answer: Ballistic Pendulum: Bullet Collision & Max Height

In summary, a rifle bullet with a mass of 2.5 g and a velocity of 243 m/s collides with and embeds itself in a pendulum with a mass of 237.5 g. The pendulum was initially at rest and suspended vertically with massless strings of length 2 m. The net momentum of the bullet-pendulum mass is 0.6075 kg m/s, causing the pendulum to move at a velocity of 2.53125 m/s. The challenge is to find the angle at which the bullet-pendulum combination reaches its maximum height. The correct expression for the maximum height is y(f) = (m * v(i)^2) / (2 * (m +
nahya
A rifle bullet of mass m = 2.5 g traveling at vb = 243 m/s collides with and embeds itself in a pendulum of mass M = 237.5 g, initially at rest and suspended vertically with massless strings of length L = 2 m.
---
i first converted the masses into kilograms.
i found out that net momentum = 0.6075 kg m/s, for the bullet-pendulum mass of 0.24kb. that means that the pendulum moves at first with v = 2.53125.

now... where do i go from here?
i don't even know the angle at which the bullet-pendulum combination reaches the max height. if i knew, it would be 2*tan(theta).

so i guess the challenge is to find the angle at which the thing goes at its max height...? bleh.. I'm lost :cry:

edit:

by the energy equation, i guess...
for M = total mass, 1/2*Mv(f)^2 + Mgy(f) = 1/2*Mv(i)^2 + Mgy(i)
y(i) is zero, so the last term cancels out.
v(f) is zero, so the first term cancels out.
Mgy(f) = 1/2*Mv(i)^2
y(f) = Mv(i)^2 / (2Mg)
i get 0.6538, which is not the answer...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nahya said:
A rifle bullet of mass m = 2.5 g traveling at vb = 243 m/s collides with and embeds itself in a pendulum of mass M = 237.5 g, initially at rest and suspended vertically with massless strings of length L = 2 m.
---
i first converted the masses into kilograms.
i found out that net momentum = 0.6075 kg m/s, for the bullet-pendulum mass of 0.24kb. that means that the pendulum moves at first with v = 2.53125.

now... where do i go from here?
i don't even know the angle at which the bullet-pendulum combination reaches the max height. if i knew, it would be 2*tan(theta).

so i guess the challenge is to find the angle at which the thing goes at its max height...? bleh.. I'm lost :cry:

edit:

by the energy equation, i guess...
for M = total mass, 1/2*Mv(f)^2 + Mgy(f) = 1/2*Mv(i)^2 + Mgy(i)
y(i) is zero, so the last term cancels out.
v(f) is zero, so the first term cancels out.
Mgy(f) = 1/2*Mv(i)^2
y(f) = Mv(i)^2 / (2Mg)
i get 0.6538, which is not the answer...
What is the question? Do you want to find the angle? If so, you have worked out the right expression for y(f) and from that you can find the angle(see correction below). Do a drawing.
AM

Last edited:
i'm trying to find the maximum height that it reaches.
i keep getting the same answer for y(f), and it is, apparently, incorrect.

nahya said:
i'm trying to find the maximum height that it reaches.
i keep getting the same answer for y(f), and it is, apparently, incorrect.
ok. Your expression for y(f) is not right. Energy is not conserved. The momentum of the bullet before the impact is equal to the momentum of the block + bullet afterward. The velocity immediately after the impact has to be worked out from the bullet momentum ([itex]mv_b[/itex]).

So:

[tex]v_i = \frac{m}{m+M}v_b[/tex]

and:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(M+m)v_i^2 = (M+m)gy_f[/tex]

AM

Last edited:

Related to Answer: Ballistic Pendulum: Bullet Collision & Max Height

1. What is a ballistic pendulum?

A ballistic pendulum is a device used to measure the velocity of a projectile, such as a bullet, by observing the maximum height it reaches after it collides with a pendulum hanging from a fixed point.

2. How does a ballistic pendulum work?

A ballistic pendulum works by converting the kinetic energy of a projectile into potential energy as it collides with the pendulum. The maximum height reached by the pendulum is directly related to the velocity of the projectile.

3. What is the equation for calculating the velocity of a projectile using a ballistic pendulum?

The equation is: v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity of the projectile, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the maximum height reached by the pendulum.

4. How accurate is a ballistic pendulum in measuring projectile velocity?

A ballistic pendulum can provide accurate measurements of projectile velocity if certain factors, such as air resistance, are taken into account. However, it may not be as precise as other methods, such as using a chronograph.

5. What are some real-world applications of a ballistic pendulum?

A ballistic pendulum can be used in forensic science to determine the velocity of a bullet in a crime scene. It can also be used in physics experiments to study the conservation of energy and momentum. Additionally, it has been used in the past for military purposes to measure the velocity of projectiles.