Another Uncertainty with Equations question

• Thread starter AJDangles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uncertainty
In summary, the conversation discusses using a kinematic equation to measure the acceleration due to gravity by dropping a ball from a building. The uncertainty in the final velocity and height of the building is taken into account, and the question arises of how to determine the uncertainty in the acceleration. It is suggested to rearrange the equation to solve for acceleration and ignore the negligible uncertainty in the initial velocity.
AJDangles

Homework Statement

A useful kinematic equation is

(vf)^2 = (vi)^2 + 2ad

You drop a ball (with zero initial velocity) from the top of a building to measure the acceleration due to gravity. If you measure the final velocity to be vf ± ∆vf, and the height of the building to be d ± ∆d, what is the relative uncertainty in your determination of the acceleration?

Homework Equations

Uncertainties equations, propagation of error.

The Attempt at a Solution

This time I'm really not sure. Should I first rearrange the equation to solve for acceleration, and then do my propagation of error? Or do I take it as it is right now?

Physics news on Phys.org
yes I think you should solve for acceleration, and you just drop vi because its zero and the uncertainty in that is negligible.

Related to Another Uncertainty with Equations question

1. What is the purpose of "Another Uncertainty with Equations question" in scientific research?

The purpose of "Another Uncertainty with Equations question" is to measure and analyze the level of uncertainty in scientific equations and models. This allows for a better understanding of the potential errors and limitations in the results and conclusions of a study.

2. How is uncertainty typically represented in scientific equations?

Uncertainty is typically represented by a range of values, such as a confidence interval or margin of error, that accounts for the potential variability or error in the measurements or data used in the equation.

3. What factors contribute to uncertainty in scientific equations?

There are several factors that can contribute to uncertainty in scientific equations, including measurement error, sample size, and assumptions made in the model or equation. External factors such as environmental conditions or human error can also play a role.

4. How do scientists account for uncertainty in their research?

Scientists account for uncertainty by using statistical methods, conducting multiple trials or measurements, and thoroughly analyzing and discussing potential sources of error in their work. In some cases, uncertainty may also be incorporated into the final results or conclusions of a study.

5. Can uncertainty ever be completely eliminated in scientific equations?

No, uncertainty can never be completely eliminated in scientific equations. However, through careful study design, data collection, and analysis, scientists can minimize and manage uncertainty to ensure the most accurate and reliable results possible.