Another tension force question

In summary, the homework statement has two angles one on the positive side and one on the negative side and the magnitude of the tension is 13.38 N. Each angle is 14 degrees below the x-axis and the tension would be found using Tcos(theta) and Tsin(theta) equations. The attempt at a solution doesn't really know how to start and the forces in the x and y direction are unknown. The direction of the y component is unknown and the degree in the picture might not be the correct angle to use in the equation.
cbchapm2

Homework Statement

See the attachment for the diagram and problem:
Ch4C WA2.jpg

Homework Equations

So the magnitude of the tension in the wire is 13.38 N. And each angle is 14 degrees below the x-axis, one on the positive side and one on the negative side.
Would I use my Tcos(theta) and Tsin(theta) equations for this? If so, which angle do I use? Because it would be counter clockwise from the x-axis, so NOT 14*, and they wouldn't be the same angle either.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know how to start; I think I have everything I need, I just don't know which step to take first.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well ƩF=ma, so what are the forces acting on this?

I don't have a mass or acceleration though...is there a normal force exerted on it?

Ok, how about this, what are the forces in the x and y direction? There is no acceleration, therefore a=0 right? You have to find the force in each direction set them equal to 0 and you'll have the tension. ƩTx=what? ƩTy=what?

I think I got that part...
would you find the x and y components using Tcos(theta) and Tsin(theta) for each one? Do you have to do it for each angle? For the angle, would you do counter clockwise from the x-axis?

Well since the tensions are the same, it'd just be 2Tsinx for the y direction right? What happens to the x direction?

What angle would you use though?

And I'm not really sure for the x direction...is it 0? Or is it 2Tcos(theta)?

Ok this about the x direction. One Tx is going in the negative and one is going in the positive. If you sum them up, they become Tcosθ-Tcosθ and that equals 0 (because force is a vector, so it has a magnitude and direction, one positive and the other negative). So the forces in the x direction are 0. The y direction is different though.
Think about the direction of the y components.

The sum of the y components would be the 2Tsin(theta). I really just don't know what angle to use for theta.

First off, what is the direction of the y component.
Second, the degree is in the picture? 14 degrees

Is the degree in the picture the correct one to use in the equation? Since you have to put in the x and y coordinates; it might be 14 degrees BELOW the x-axis on either side, but the angle is measured counter-clockwise from the positive x-axis. So that's why I'm questioning it. I have the magnitude to plug into the 2Tsin(theta) equation, I just need an angle.

Related to Another tension force question

1. What is tension force?

Tension force is a pulling force that acts along a string, rope, or cable. It is a type of contact force, meaning it only occurs when objects are in physical contact with each other.

2. How is tension force different from other types of forces?

Tension force is different from other types of forces because it only occurs when objects are in contact with each other and it acts in the opposite direction of the force being applied. Other types of forces, such as gravity or friction, do not require physical contact and act in the same direction as the applied force.

3. What factors affect tension force?

The magnitude of tension force is affected by the weight of the object being pulled, the angle at which the force is applied, and the strength and elasticity of the string, rope, or cable. The more weight or force applied, the greater the tension force will be.

4. How is tension force measured?

Tension force is typically measured in Newtons (N) using a spring scale or force meter. However, it can also be calculated using the formula T = mg, where T is tension force, m is mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What are some real-life examples of tension force?

Tension force can be observed in many everyday situations, such as pulling a door open, using a pulley system, or even tying a knot. It is also crucial in engineering and construction, as tension force is used to hold up bridges, support buildings, and lift heavy objects with cranes.