Another sign convention issue (optics)

In summary, there are two sign conventions for geometric optics: one where anything measured in the direction of incident light is positive and the other where real object and real image distances are positive while virtual object and virtual image distances are negative. There is confusion about which convention to use for lenses, as there are two foci and it is not clear which one to take into account. Additionally, there is confusion about what a virtual object is and how it affects the sign convention. In an example involving two convex lenses, the first lens forms a real image which acts as a virtual object for the second lens. However, in the final answer, the object distance is negative, the image distance is positive, and the focus is positive, causing confusion about the
chitturp
I read through all of the previous sign convention posts on this forum (and googled a lot and checked a bunch of textbooks) before posting this question. I don't understand the sign convention properly for geometric optics. There are two conventions that I've understood so far, and I've got a few questions... One convention is that anything measured in the direction of incident light is positive, and against the direction of incident light is negative (I guess we'd be measuring from the object to the mirror/lens initially, and then from the lens itself after the light hits it?).

Doubt 1) The thing about this convention... I understand it for mirrors, but I'm confused about how it works for lenses? There are two foci, so which one do we take into account? If we took the one on the same side as the object, wouldn't it be negative? And the opposite side focus would be a positive distance?? So which one?

The other convention I noticed was this -- on a particular website: "Real object and real image distances are given positive sign while virtual object and virtual image distances are given negative sign"

Doubt 2) What is a virtual object?

Huge doubt 3) I tried to use both conventions to solve a problem with two convex lenses next to each other ... I was able to get the distance of the image from the first lens using either sign convention, but then I got stuck with the second one. The way the problem was, the object was on the left side of the first lens, and the image from that ended up on the right side of the second lens. Now -- I thought that using sign convention # 1, couldn't I just consider that (the image of the first lens) a whole new object for the second lens (therefore with positive distance) and then the image distance (virtual) would also be positive because it's on the opposite side of the lens, and the focus would also be positive since it's a convex lens?... I figured that the "new" incident light could come from the right side of the second lens... (but should that really make a difference, because then object distance, image distance, and focus would all be negative since measured towards the left).

Using sign convention #2, the image of the first lens would be a real image, right? (this is where I'm not sure what a virtual object is...) -- So then the new object for the second lens would be "real", so the distance would be positive, and the image distance should be "negative" because it would be virtual, and the focus would be positive because it's a convex lens...

BUT
It turns out that for the second lens, the object distance was negative, the image distance was positive, and the focus was positive (according to the answers). How did this happen!?

Formula used was 1/u + 1/v = 1/f, with signs substituted in.

What sort of sign convention is used?... I'm really confused... I'm sorry this question is so long, but I'd really appreciate if someone could help!

Science news on Phys.org
I'll just chip in one thing, if I may. A virtual object of a lens is a point to which rays approaching the lens would converge if the lens weren't there. So if light is going left-to-right, the virtual object would be to the right of the lens.

So, in your example of the two juxtaposed lenses, the first lens would form a real image. This real image is the virtual object for the second lens.

Last edited:
There's still something a bit confusing about that.. Wouldn't the new image now be a virtual one?.. so the sign convention would be negative for that? But in the original problem. the "virtual object" for the second lens has a negative sign and the final image was given a positive sign.

Last edited:

Related to Another sign convention issue (optics)

1. What is a sign convention in optics?

A sign convention in optics is a set of rules used to determine the sign or direction of quantities such as distances and angles in optical systems. It helps to establish a consistent reference point for calculations and analysis.

2. What is the difference between the two sign conventions used in optics?

The two sign conventions used in optics are the Cartesian sign convention and the Newtonian sign convention. The main difference between them is the direction in which distances and angles are measured. In the Cartesian sign convention, distances are measured from the optical center towards the object and light rays are represented by positive angles. In the Newtonian sign convention, distances are measured from the object towards the optical center and light rays are represented by negative angles.

3. Why is it important to use a sign convention in optics?

Using a sign convention in optics is important because it allows for consistency and accuracy in calculations and analysis. It also helps to avoid confusion and ensures that everyone is using the same reference point for measurements and calculations.

4. How does a sign convention affect the calculations in optics?

The sign convention used in optics affects the sign or direction of quantities such as distances and angles in calculations. This, in turn, affects the final results of the calculations. For example, using the wrong sign convention can result in a negative value for a distance that should be positive, leading to incorrect results.

5. Are there any exceptions to the sign convention in optics?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the sign convention in optics. For example, in some cases, the direction of angles may be reversed depending on the orientation of the optical system. It is important to carefully consider the specific circumstances of the problem at hand when applying the sign convention to ensure accurate results.