Another question involving the masses of two stars in a binary syste

Conversely, if the system is viewed at a higher angle of inclination, the masses calculated will be higher than the true values. Therefore, it is important to accurately determine the angle of inclination when calculating the individual masses of a double-lined spectroscopic binary. In summary, to calculate the individual masses of stars in a double-lined spectroscopic binary, we can use the orbital parameters and the mass function equation. To prove that the system is close to edge on, we can look for observational evidence such as eclipses or a secondary Doppler shift. If the system is not edge on, the calculated masses will be lower or higher than the true values depending on the angle of inclination.
knowlewj01

Homework Statement

The Spectral lines in a double-lined spectroscopic binary exhibit sinusodal motion with ampliutudes of 15 and 35 km/s in a period of 80hrs. assuming that we view the system close to edge on, calculate the individual masses in solar masses. What would you look for observationally to prove that the system was close to edge on? If the system is not edge on, are the masses lower or higher than the true value and why?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have an idea on how to answer the second bits but i have no idea how to get the masses of the stars. Anyone know how?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

I would first start by using the given information to determine the orbital parameters of the binary system. This includes the period, amplitude, and angle of inclination (assuming we are viewing the system close to edge on). With these parameters, I can then use the Kepler's third law and the mass function equation to calculate the individual masses of the stars.

The mass function equation is as follows:

f(m) = (m1sin^3(i))/(m1+m2)^2 = (K1^3P)/(2piG)

Where m1 and m2 are the individual masses of the stars, i is the angle of inclination, K1 is the amplitude of the first star, P is the period, and G is the gravitational constant.

To prove that the system is close to edge on, I would look for observational evidence such as the presence of eclipses or a secondary Doppler shift in the spectral lines. Eclipses occur when the stars pass in front of each other from our line of sight, causing a decrease in the total light output of the system. A secondary Doppler shift occurs when the spectrum of the secondary star is superimposed on the spectrum of the primary star, resulting in multiple sets of spectral lines.

If the system is not edge on, the masses calculated using the above equation will be lower than the true values. This is because the angle of inclination will be less than 90 degrees, resulting in a lower mass function.

Related to Another question involving the masses of two stars in a binary syste

1. What is a binary star system?

A binary star system is a system in which two stars orbit around a common center of mass due to their mutual gravitational attraction. This means that they are gravitationally bound to each other and move together through space.

2. How are the masses of two stars in a binary system determined?

The masses of two stars in a binary system can be determined through various methods, such as measuring their orbital period, radial velocity, or the amount of light they emit. These measurements can then be used to calculate the ratio of the masses of the two stars.

3. Why is it important to know the masses of stars in a binary system?

Knowing the masses of stars in a binary system is important for understanding their evolution, as well as for studying the dynamics and stability of the system. It can also provide insights into the formation and evolution of binary systems.

4. Can the masses of stars in a binary system change over time?

Yes, the masses of stars in a binary system can change over time due to various factors such as mass transfer between the two stars, stellar winds, and interactions with other nearby stars. These changes can affect the orbital dynamics and evolution of the system.

5. How do scientists use the masses of stars in a binary system to learn about the properties of the stars?

By studying the masses of stars in a binary system, scientists can determine their size, luminosity, and other physical properties. This information can then be compared to theoretical models to better understand the formation and evolution of stars.