Another PDE and boundary conditions

In summary, the book suggested is a good one, and the initial conditions can be solved using a cosine function.
Markov2
1) Solve

$\begin{aligned}
{{u}_{t}}&=K{{u}_{xx}},\text{ }0<x<L,\text{ }t>0, \\
{{u}_{x}}(0,t)&=0,\text{ }{{u}_{x}}(L,t)=0,\text{ for }t>0, \\
u(x,0)&=6+\sin \frac{3\pi x}{L}
\end{aligned}$

2) Transform the problem so that the boundary conditions get homogeneous:

$\begin{aligned}
{{u}_{x}}(0,t)&=Ae^{-at},\text{ }{{u}_{x}}(L,t)=B,\text{ for }t>0, \\
u(x,0)&=0
\end{aligned}$

Attempts:

1) No ideas for this one, I don't know how to proceed when the initial conditions have the first derivative.

2) I think I need to define a new function right? But how?

Physics news on Phys.org
Markov said:
1) Solve

$\begin{aligned}
{{u}_{x}}(0,t)&=0,\text{ }{{u}_{x}}(L,t)=0,\text{ for }t>0, \\
u(x,0)&=6+\sin \frac{3\pi x}{L}
\end{aligned}$

2) Transform the problem so that the boundary conditions get homogeneous:

$\begin{aligned}
{{u}_{x}}(0,t)&=Ae^{-at},\text{ }{{u}_{x}}(L,t)=B,\text{ for }t>0, \\
u(x,0)&=0
\end{aligned}$

Attempts:

1) No ideas for this one, I don't know how to proceed when the initial conditions have the first derivative.

2) I think I need to define a new function right? But how?

What book are you using? If it isn't helpful, you should get Elementary Partial Differential Equations by Berg and McGregor.

I have no chances to get books, the only source I have left is the forum. :(

Think you could help me please? :(

Markov said:
I have no chances to get books, the only source I have left is the forum. :(

Think you could help me please? :(

The book I suggested is relatively cheap and it is a good book. I suggest you think about picking a book up whether it is that one or another one.

For 1, because the boundary conditions are homogeneous, try a solution of the form $\sum_{n=0}^\infty A_n(t)cos(n\pi x/L)$.
Use cosine because the derivative of cosine is sine which is 0 at 0 and L.
For 2, yes, you need to change the function. And you want to make the boundary conditions 0 so find a function, f(x,t), that satisfies the boundary conditions and subtract f from u.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay but on (1) why can we adopt that kind of solution?

As for second question, I have $v(x,t)=A{{e}^{-at}}-\left( A{{e}^{-at}}-B \right)\dfrac{x}{L}$ so I need $f(x,t)=v(x,t)+u(x,t),$ does this work? (I had a typo, the boundary conditions don't have the first derivative.)

Last edited:

Related to Another PDE and boundary conditions

What is a PDE?

A partial differential equation, or PDE, is a mathematical equation that involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. It is commonly used to describe physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

How does a PDE differ from an ordinary differential equation (ODE)?

Unlike an ordinary differential equation, which involves only one independent variable and its derivatives, a PDE involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. This makes PDEs more complex and requires different techniques for solving them.

What are boundary conditions in the context of PDEs?

Boundary conditions are additional constraints that are imposed on a PDE to determine a unique solution. They specify the behavior of the solution at the boundaries of the domain in which the PDE is defined.

What are the different types of boundary conditions?

There are several types of boundary conditions that can be imposed on a PDE, including Dirichlet, Neumann, and Robin boundary conditions. Dirichlet conditions specify the value of the solution at the boundary, Neumann conditions specify the value of the derivative at the boundary, and Robin conditions are a combination of both.

How are PDEs used in real-world applications?

PDEs have numerous applications in various fields, such as fluid dynamics, heat transfer, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They are used to model and predict the behavior of physical systems and are essential tools in engineering, science, and technology.