Another moment question, completely lost

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem involving finding the angle between a force and a point, but is not sure how to proceed.
pyroknife
1. Homework Statement
I attached the drawing.
The force of magnitude F acts along the edge of the triangular plate. Determine the moment of F about point O.

2. Homework Equations

M=rxF

3. The Attempt at a Solution
What I did was I just picked the top left point of the triangle and labeled that (0,h) which give me my r vector 0i+hj. After that I really don't know how to proceed except to find the angle by doing inverse tangent of h/b, but I just keep getting variable after variable. What other way is there to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
pyroknife said:
1. Homework Statement
I attached the drawing.
The force of magnitude F acts along the edge of the triangular plate. Determine the moment of F about point O.

2. Homework Equations

M=rxF

3. The Attempt at a Solution
What I did was I just picked the top left point of the triangle and labeled that (0,h) which give me my r vector 0i+hj. After that I really don't know how to proceed except to find the angle by doing inverse tangent of h/b, but I just keep getting variable after variable. What other way is there to do this?

First thing, you didn't attach a drawing?

pyroknife said:
hmm it's not letting me attach the image. I uploaded it on imageshack
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/714/48631281.png/

You had that M = r * F

you need to find r, which is the distance from O to the closest point on the hypotenuse [lets call that point D.

Similar triangle work comparing the original triangle to the triangle ODX where X is either the point you decided to call (0,h) or the other corner of the triangle.

i'm a little confused by r. is it always the "closest" distance from the point you're revolving around or can it be any point in the line of action of the force? Like can you pick any point on the hypotenuse in this case, even though it'll be easier to make 1 of the 2 corners?

Related to Another moment question, completely lost

What does "Another moment question, completely lost" mean?

"Another moment question, completely lost" is a phrase that suggests a person is feeling unsure or confused about a particular situation or thought. It could also imply a sense of being lost or disconnected from something important.

What are some possible reasons for feeling "completely lost"?

The reasons for feeling "completely lost" can vary greatly from person to person. It could be due to a lack of direction or purpose in life, feeling overwhelmed or confused about a particular situation, or experiencing a loss of identity or connection to oneself.

How can one overcome the feeling of being "completely lost"?

There is no one-size-fits-all solution for overcoming the feeling of being "completely lost." Some techniques that may help include seeking support from friends or family, talking to a therapist or counselor, setting achievable goals, and practicing self-care and self-reflection.

Is feeling "completely lost" a common experience?

Yes, feeling "completely lost" is a common experience that many people go through at some point in their lives. It is a normal part of the human experience and can often lead to personal growth and self-discovery.

How can feeling "completely lost" be beneficial?

Although it can be a difficult and uncomfortable experience, feeling "completely lost" can also be beneficial. It can push a person to reflect on their life and make necessary changes, challenge them to step outside their comfort zone and try new things, and ultimately lead to personal growth and a stronger sense of self.