Is Pointing with the Thumb the New Political Trend?

• News
  • Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eyes
In summary, during a conversation about President Bush's comments on a recent attack, it was noted that he blinks frequently while speaking and this could be seen as a sign of honesty. However, it was also pointed out that judging someone's honesty based on eye blinks alone can lead to misinterpretation. It was also mentioned that Bush often shows a sense of sadness while appearing happy on the inside, and that he adopts a unique style of pointing with his thumb instead of his finger. The conversation also touched on former President Clinton's tendency to point with his finger, which was not well-received by the public, and how this led to the Republican party adopting the use of the thumb for pointing. Lastly, it was observed that both Bush and
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I was watching Bush's comments on the attack yesterday evening, is it me or does he actually blink everytime he says a significant word (in between there is this iron stare)

.. conscious or unconscious blinking..
I thought it was really weird :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Unforced blinks are supposedly an indication of honesty. Pathological liars do not exhibit this quality (just watch the deceitful stare of TV commercials). Judging a person on eye blinks alone, however, encourages their dishonesty or your misinterpretation.

He always does that (he shows like if he is kind of sorry) while he is extremely happy from the inside !

Didn't you see how much he blinked on 11 September ?

Bush ist ein dumm kopf!

I always liked the thumb-pointing. They found out during the Clinton presidency that the public really hated it when Clinton emphasized something by pointing his finger. It then became official Republican policy to point with the thumb. I am so happy to be ruled by such geniuses .

Njorl

the man looks very confused to me, well confused and trying not to look that way.

Kennedy

Originally posted by Njorl
I always liked the thumb-pointing. They found out during the Clinton presidency that the public really hated it when Clinton emphasized something by pointing his finger. It then became official Republican policy to point with the thumb. I am so happy to be ruled by such geniuses .

Njorl
Hm...One hand sometimes in pocket, other hand pointing...yea...Thats what Kennedy did too..I like it actually

1. What did Bush say in his speech?

Bush's speech covered a range of topics, including foreign policy, the economy, and national security. He also addressed specific issues such as immigration reform and healthcare.

2. Did Bush's eyes appear different during the speech?

Some viewers have noticed that Bush's eyes appeared to be drooping or looking down during parts of the speech. This could be due to natural aging or fatigue, as giving a speech can be physically and mentally draining.

3. Was there any significance to Bush's eye movements during the speech?

It is not uncommon for people to have certain eye movements or tics when speaking in public, and this is likely the case with Bush. There is no evidence to suggest that his eye movements had any specific meaning or intention.

4. Was Bush's eye behavior a distraction from the content of his speech?

While some viewers may have found Bush's eye behavior distracting, it is important to focus on the content of his speech rather than any physical mannerisms. Evaluating the message and ideas being conveyed is more important than analyzing body language.

5. How did the media react to Bush's eye behavior during the speech?

The media did not extensively cover or comment on Bush's eye behavior during the speech. Some news outlets briefly mentioned it, but overall the focus was on the content of his speech and the reactions to his policies and proposals.