Another Hydrodynamics word problem

In summary: And I didn't understand much this phrase "write it out in terms of one of the v and the A's".h1 = h2 if the pipe is horizontal. Subtract ##\rho \, gh## on both sides and forget about the h.
HP8

Homework Statement

The pressure difference between the main pipeline and the throat of a venturri meter is 10.5 Pascals (Pa). The areas of the pipe and the constriction are 0.1 m^2 and 0.05 m^2 respectively. How many cubic meters per second are flowing in the pipe? The liquid in the pipe is water.

Homework Equations

[itex]Q = A_1 V_1 = A_2 V_2 [/itex]
where a = area
v = velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know if I should put 15 Pa on Q, so my solution goes like this:

[itex]10.5 = (0.1) V_1 = (0.05) V_2 [/itex]

I don't know what the next steps are, and by the way I tried to look for the forces using F = PA, which I got F1 = 1.05 N and F2 = 0.525 N. But I still don't know yet how to continue solving it. Any suggestions or solutions if available?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi HP, and a late welcome to PF.

[STRIKE]I think you have the wrong mental picture of a venturi meter. Do some checking.[/STRIKE].

Turns out MY picture was wrong. You need some more relevant equation material. Something with pressure. Any idea ?

On the other hand, I have difficulty understanding where the 300 comes from (because that would be the answer for this exercise!) and I also wonder if the 10.5 Pa is really 105 Pa ?

BvU said:

[STRIKE]I think you have the wrong mental picture of a venturi meter. Do some checking.[/STRIKE].

Turns out MY picture was wrong. You need some more relevant equation material. Something with pressure. Any idea ?

On the other hand, I have difficulty understanding where the 300 comes from (because that would be the answer for this exercise!) and I also wonder if the 10.5 Pa is really 105 Pa ?

Oh I'm very sorry! I just realized it right after you replied! I was really wondering why my question was somewhat getting irrelevant to others, thanks and I'll edit my question.

By the way, the 10.5 Pa you are mentioning is really 10.5, in its decimal form.

BvU said:

Well there are some other formulas mentioned like this one:

[itex] P_1 + \frac{1}{2} pv_1^2 + pgh = P_ + \frac{1}{2} pv_2^2 + pgh [/itex]

That's it. The one I mentioned earlier was a theorem on continuity.

HP8 said:
Well there are some other formulas mentioned like this one:

[itex] P_1 + \frac{1}{2} pv_1^2 + pgh = P_ + \frac{1}{2} pv_2^2 + pgh [/itex]

That's it. The one I mentioned earlier was a theorem on continuity.

By your equation of continuity find ratio of v1:v2...

Make another equation as : The Bernoulli's equation!
Note that there should be no ρgh term..

It's very hard to solve a problem if you plug the pressure difference into the flow rate. Try plugging the pressure difference into the pressure difference instead. In other words, try making sure you know the meaning of the variables before solving a problem.

Is it clear to HP that 10.5=(0.1)V1=(0.05)V2 is nonsense ? On the left you have 10.5 Pa = 10.5 N/m2, so a pressure, on the right the dimension is m2 * m/s = m3/s, a volume flowrate. That's what dauto means and I agree completely.

Your post #4 was what I meant. The Bernouilli equation. Make life easy and take h1 = h2 ( a horizontal setup).

The given 10.5 Pa is p1-p2. Write it out in terms of one of the v and the A's. Solve for the v and your Q is vA. Any problems ?

Likes 1 person
BvU said:
Is it clear to HP that 10.5=(0.1)V1=(0.05)V2 is nonsense ? On the left you have 10.5 Pa = 10.5 N/m2, so a pressure, on the right the dimension is m2 * m/s = m3/s, a volume flowrate. That's what dauto means and I agree completely.

Your post #4 was what I meant. The Bernouilli equation. Make life easy and take h1 = h2 ( a horizontal setup).

The given 10.5 Pa is p1-p2. Write it out in terms of one of the v and the A's. Solve for the v and your Q is vA. Any problems ?

What do you mean by h1 = h2? Equating them?

And I didn't understand much this phrase "write it out in terms of one of the v and the A's".

h1 = h2 if the pipe is horizontal. Subtract ##\rho \, gh## on both sides and forget about the h.

What exactly did you not understand in this writing out hint? You have an expression for delta p:

##p_1 - p_2 = {1\over 2}\rho(v_2^2-v_1^2)## nothing magical, savvy? Your first relevant continuity equation alows you to rewrite in terms of, e.g., ##v_1##. Solve for that (i.e. get something that looks like ##v_1 = ...## and then remember that ##Q = v_1\,A_1\,##. Done !

HP8 said:
What do you mean by h1 = h2? Equating them?

He basically means drop the [itex]ρgh[/itex] terms from the equation (because [itex]h_1=h_2[/itex])

This is because they both have the same gravitational potential energy (per volume) so it's irrelevant to the problem

So you can simplify the bernouilli equation into:

[itex]P_1+\frac{ρv_1^2}{2}=P_2+\frac{ρv_2^2}{2}[/itex]

Verbally, this means "the difference in kinetic energy (per volume) is equal to the difference in pressure(*)"

So you can at least solve for the difference in the kinetic energy between the two pipe sections.

Then the areas of the pipes will give you another restriction (the equation in your OP) which enables the problem to be solved.

(**Pressure naturally has units of energy per volume (Force per area = Joules per volume) so it is indeed consistent)

Last edited:
BvU said:
h1 = h2 if the pipe is horizontal. Subtract ##\rho \, gh## on both sides and forget about the h.

What exactly did you not understand in this writing out hint? You have an expression for delta p:

##p_1 - p_2 = {1\over 2}\rho(v_2^2-v_1^2)## nothing magical, savvy? Your first relevant continuity equation alows you to rewrite in terms of, e.g., ##v_1##. Solve for that (i.e. get something that looks like ##v_1 = ...## and then remember that ##Q = v_1\,A_1\,##. Done !

Well, after what you suggested, here's what happened:

[itex]2(P_1-P_2) = p(V_2^2-V_1^2) [/itex]

after that I plugged 10.5 Pa into pressure difference, then I divided it by the density of water (1000kg/m^3), so I got an answer to the difference between two velocities.

[itex]0.021 m^2/s^2 = p(V_2^2-V_1^2) [/itex]

and I'm wondering if I should square them to get the correct unit of velocity in my answer.

Nathanael said:
He basically means drop the [itex]ρgh[/itex] terms from the equation (because [itex]h_1=h_2[/itex])

This is because they both have the same gravitational potential energy (per volume) so it's irrelevant to the problem

So you can simplify the bernouilli equation into:

[itex]P_1+\frac{ρv_1^2}{2}=P_2+\frac{ρv_2^2}{2}[/itex]

Verbally, this means "the difference in kinetic energy (per volume) is equal to the difference in pressure(*)"

So you can at least solve for the difference in the kinetic energy between the two pipe sections.

Then the areas of the pipes will give you another restriction (the equation in your OP) which enables the problem to be solved.

(**Pressure naturally has units of energy per volume (Force per area = Joules per volume) so it is indeed consistent)

Hi, BVU suggested to me that I should get the difference in velocity, which is 0.14 m/s. I am still confused on how should I plug this value into my original equation when my answer is stated as difference in velocity?

HP8 said:
Hi, BVU suggested to me that I should get the difference in velocity, which is 0.14 m/s. I am still confused on how should I plug this value into my original equation when my answer is stated as difference in velocity?
First off, the difference in velocity is not 0.14, you actually don't know the difference in velocity.
(I'm guessing you got 0.14 by taking the square root of 0.021? The reason that this doesn't work is because 0.021 is the difference of the squares, NOT the square of the difference)

You can solve it just like any system of equations

You know that:

[itex]V_2^2-V_1^2=0.021[/itex]

So,

[itex]V_2=\sqrt{0.021+V_1^2}[/itex]

Just plug that into the equation [itex]A_1V_1=A_2V_2[/itex] and you'll be able to solve for [itex]V_1[/itex] (and the rest of the problem)

Last edited:
nathanael said:
first off, the difference in velocity is not 0.14, you actually don't know the difference in velocity.
(i'm guessing you got 0.14 by taking the square root of 0.021? The reason that this doesn't work is because 0.021 is the difference of the squares, not the square of the difference)

you can solve it just like any system of equations

you know that:

[itex]v_2^2-v_1^2=0.021[/itex]

so,

[itex]v_2=\sqrt{0.021+v_1^2}[/itex]

just plug that into the equation [itex]a_1v_1=a_2v_2[/itex] and you'll be able to solve for [itex]v_1[/itex] (and the rest of the problem)

Wouldn't the two [itex]V_1[/itex] cancel each other out because I'll transpose [itex]V_1[/itex] after simplifying the radical expression. This is what I'm saying:

[itex]V_1=(A_1\sqrt{0.021+V_1^2})/(A_2)[/itex]

[itex]A_1V_1=A_2\sqrt{0.021+V_1^2}[/itex]

[itex]A_1^2V_1^2=A_2^2(0.021+V_1^2)[/itex]

[itex]V_1^2(A_1^2-A_2^2)=0.021A_2^2[/itex]
[itex]V_1=\sqrt{\frac{0.021A_2^2}{A_1^2-A_2^2}}[/itex]
I don't understand how the [itex]V_1[/itex]'s would cancel out?
(I may have made an algebraic mistake, I wasn't being very careful)

Likes 1 person
Nathanael said:
[itex]A_1V_1=A_2\sqrt{0.021+V_1^2}[/itex]

[itex]A_1^2V_1^2=A_2^2(0.021+V_1^2)[/itex]

[itex]V_1^2(A_1^2-A_2^2)=0.021A_2^2[/itex]
[itex]V_1=\sqrt{\frac{0.021A_2^2}{A_1^2-A_2^2}}[/itex]

I don't understand how the [itex]V_1[/itex]'s would cancel out?

(I may have made an algebraic mistake, I wasn't being very careful)

Oh sorry, my bad, I never thought of moving the square root of the equation on the right to the left, instead, I canceled out the square root and got confused because moving the V_1 to the left will make it equal to 0. Sorry I caused you a little confused about my work. Finally, I got the value for [itex]V_1[/itex] and I got the volumetric flow rate.

I am really thankful for you. You had helped me solve two problems about it. I am really sorry because it took me a while to understand what others are saying, because I don't really have much knowledge about this specific topic in Physics. I really appreciate your help.

HP8 said:
I am really sorry because it took me a while to understand what others are saying, because I don't really have much knowledge about this specific topic in Physics.

That's nothing to be sorry about! No one is born with physics knowledge.

Besides, I'd MUCH rather help someone who is actually interested in learning (like you) than someone who just wants the answer.

Related to Another Hydrodynamics word problem

1. What is hydrodynamics?

Hydrodynamics is the study of the motion of fluids, including liquids and gases, and the forces that act upon them. It is a branch of fluid mechanics, which also includes the study of static fluids (fluids at rest).

2. Can you explain the concept of buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or fully submerged in it. This force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. It is the reason why objects float or sink in a fluid, and it is governed by Archimedes' principle.

3. How is Bernoulli's principle related to hydrodynamics?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure within the fluid decreases. This principle is directly related to hydrodynamics because it describes how the velocity and pressure of a fluid are related, which is essential in understanding fluid flow and its applications.

4. What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

In laminar flow, the fluid particles move in a smooth, orderly manner, with all particles moving in the same direction and at the same speed. In turbulent flow, the fluid particles move in an irregular, chaotic manner, with different particles moving at different speeds and in different directions. Turbulent flow is typically associated with higher velocities and can create eddies and vortices in the fluid.

5. How do hydrodynamics principles apply to real-world scenarios?

Hydrodynamics principles are used in a wide range of real-world scenarios, including the design of ships and aircraft, the study of weather patterns, and the development of hydraulic systems. They are also crucial in understanding fluid flow in pipes and channels, as well as in biological systems such as blood flow in the human body.